eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   how to introduce easter to young Chinese kids ? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/how-introduce-easter-young-chinese-kids-7528/)

marie123 Feb 21st, 2008 04:45 am

how to introduce easter to young Chinese kids ?

I'm teaching English to very young Chinese kids (4-6 years old)in Shanghai. Any ideas about how to introduce easter to them ? recommended story ? sites ?

Siddhartha Feb 22nd, 2008 12:17 am

Re: how to introduce easter to young Chinese kids ?

First, I'd focus on the whole commercialized aspect of it rather than the religious one. Can't go wrong with the Easter Bunny, whereas bringing resurrection into it might be asking for trouble.

And for kids that age, you might want to do some sort of a project like dyeing eggs, and then choose appropriate language to focus on from that.

fiffla Mar 17th, 2008 06:41 pm

I have been teaching english in beijing for 2 yrs I have also been on 5 summer camps to China 1 in Shanghai you can teach the religious easter as well as the secular. But teach it as fact like the Bible is a history book Easter is a part of culture so teach the secular also. Anyway I used pictures and easter objects if you have them baskets, bunnies "plush" Plastic eggs. Kids of all ages in china like to draw and color. So have them do easter Cards. If you want to tell the story. See if you can have an interpretor. That makes it a lot easier. Also younger kids like to act. Hope this helps

mesmark Mar 18th, 2008 12:25 am

There are some Easter games, coloring and flashcards here. www.mes-english.com/flashcards/easter.php

I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching the religious aspect of Easter either. It's not like you'd be making it up. Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Christ.

Teach Easter how you see fit unless you've been instructed by the management otherwise.

Siddhartha Mar 22nd, 2008 01:05 pm

Whether or not you should go into religious beliefs in your language teaching is a complex question and a delicate matter.

Perhaps the two greatest concerns one should have in making the decision to include or exclude it might be:

1. The circumstances
2. Respect

Older students are often more equipped to weigh things presented to them for themselves and see them as interesting, alternative view points and beliefs. Young children (of the age mentioned in the original question) are generally more impressionable.

I respect all religions and individual rights to believe in and follow whatever faith one chooses. If you’re teaching in a culture which is obviously not Christian, I believe respect dictates great care in electing what to put in and what to leave out of your lessons.