eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

Poll: What do you think of teacher observations?
Poll Options
What do you think of teacher observations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 24th, 2008, 11:01 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Teacher Observations

I'm curious as to how the ESL teaching community feels about getting their lessons observed.

I've written an article on the topic based on my own experience observing and getting critiqued. What does everyone else think?

Teacher Observations as a Positive Experience | Heads Up English | ESL Lessons
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.

Last edited by HUE : Jun 25th, 2008 at 03:12 am. Reason: forgot url
Unread Jun 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teacher Observations

Hue,

Personally, I like my classes being observed and having a chance to observe other classes. I think this could generate some great teaching ideas and strategies, while helping you become a better teacher.

The only qualm I have about these observations is that I teach in Japan. I'm usually in the classroom with another English teacher. Prior to these classes, we generally know when people are going to be observing them and the English teacher prepares a 'special lesson' for it. However, these 'special lessons' are nothing but a waste of everyone's time because they don't show what an average class looks like. So, in my particular case, I hate the observed classes.
Unread Jun 29th, 2008, 03:36 am
eslHQ Member

Manes is on a distinguished road

I don't like them, but I think it's because of how they are done. First of all they happens very seldom - so every time it's something "new" that make me nervous. Second, I feel that I, as a person, am being criticized by adopting this or that way/technique/etc... Third, there's never a precise and specific topic that is analysed. Maybe if I knew that during a month, the teachers would be visited so some specific problem WE face in our classes (and the different solution each eacher got to) could be noted for further discussion - this would put we (teacher) and the observers on the same side. And forth, I would like to have many opportunities to observe other one's lessons - including the observers' lessons
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 11:43 am
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

To me I think when a class is being observed what the observers see is about 20% of what that's teacher's real class is. Once that team or your HOD, boss, colleague, etc comes into the class the lesson is no longer the same. The students as well as the teacher behave in a totally different way. It's like having a guest at home. You naughty child suddenly becomes a very calm one and a nagging spouse so calm and sweet.
A camera would do if people want to see what a teacher's class really looks like. Even in this case the camera would have to be installed without the knowledge of the students and the teachers concerned.
It's like the demo lessons recruiters rely on in order to hire teachers. Just ridiculous!

Last edited by Denis DNT : Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:06 pm. Reason: spellings
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 01:55 pm
eslHQ Member

Manes is on a distinguished road

Yeah... I worked once in Brazil, my home country, where the director of the private school had audio installed in every room! It was so invasive! And he used to go further: he would interrupt the lesson, from his office, to admonish a student misbehaving or a teacher saying something he desagreed! It didn't last very long, because the teachers threatenned to sue him and report him to the Ed. Department. He turned all off.
Can you believe?
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 09:42 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

Teaching works best when there is 100% trust.
Unread Aug 29th, 2008, 10:50 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

During my CELTA the observed lessons were so bad that I am sure they hadn't been prepared in advance. Just kidding.
Yes, I agree with one of the statements in the poll, those lessons should be very beneficial for new teachers, and preparing a 'special lesson' for that occasion doesn't sound so bad to me.

btw. Hue, just wanted to say that I liked your website. I printed out almost anything I could find there.