eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   How long do you expect to stay in TESL? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/how-long-do-you-expect-stay-tesl-4641/)

susan53 May 16th, 2007 07:53 am

How long do you expect to stay in TESL?

Do you see yourself as staying in ESL for ever, or is it just one of the things you want to do?

mesmark May 16th, 2007 08:10 am

Re: How long do you expect to stay in TESL?

I'm a lifer, as the plan goes. I imagine I'll keep teaching, but if TEFL leads me toward management, writing, or some other direction, I'm sure I'll follow.

clivehawkins May 16th, 2007 01:00 pm

I'm still enjoying life in the front line, but sooner or later I'd like to take a step back and concentrate on running the school. Who knows, maybe there's a coursebook in me somewhere!!!!! (Liz and John watch out) :-)

emile May 16th, 2007 07:47 pm

I'm currently plotting my escape...

clivehawkins May 17th, 2007 12:59 am

Quote:

Quote emile
I'm currently plotting my escape...

What do you want to do, and why do you want to get out?

emile May 17th, 2007 08:03 pm

Quote:

What do you want to do, and why do you want to get out?
Call me materialistic, but I'm tired of driving a 15-year old car, and I want to earn some decent $$. Plus I'm having a 'been there, done that' kind of feeling.

I'd like to go more into IT. As it is, I work for an elearning company, but of course I still find myself teaching!

DaveESL May 19th, 2007 11:42 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot. I recently did an MA degree, but I still wouldn't say that I plan on teaching forever. I like teaching, though, and don't have much interest in running an English school. I would be interested in publishing a textbook at some point, and enjoy making materials.

I find it pretty easy to make money doing EFL (at least by the local standards of wherever I happen to live) so I could see taking a year or two off in a few years to try something else. One thing that my girlfriend and I have talked about is starting an environmental ed / outdoor experience school. We'll see.

Long term, though, I just don't know. I mean, we live a pretty lowkey lifestyle (consumption-wise) so we could pretty easily work 5 or 10 years in a "high salary" place like Japan or the Middle East and then retire somewhere like Thailand. I'm 30, btw. I don't know what I'd like to do next, though.

Right now, the plan is stay in Zhangjiajie for one more year so that my girlfriend can finish her environmental education project. Then, move somewhere more beautiful, probably near the ocean. After that, who knows?

Dave

emile May 20th, 2007 08:01 pm

...and I'm getting married this year so that's going to make a difference too. Unlike you, Dave, my travelling days are over!

michèle 2 May 22nd, 2007 07:13 am

Quote:

Quote susan53
Do you see yourself as staying in ESL for ever, or is it just one of the things you want to do?

As most of you already know, I am planning to move to the country ( near the Atlantic ocean) and leave Paris where my husband and I were born to teach French for a change!
( i've been teaching English for about 20 years!)
I think I was caught by the teaching virus 20 years ago and I've enjoyed it since then.
I've worked in various companies before teaching but today I've realized that I don't want to do anything else. Except going to the beach now and then!!:hippie:

clivehawkins May 22nd, 2007 08:53 am

Quote:

Quote emile
Call me materialistic, but I'm tired of driving a 15-year old car, and I want to earn some decent $$.

Not at all, fella. You're quite right in my opinion.
Teachers have families too. They have bills, like holidays and quaff the odd cold one down the local once in a while.

Sadly most teaching jobs don't pay particularly well so the only make to make some money is either by doing something else or doing it as a business ie a school, study holidays agency, writing a mega-successful coursebook (which we all know is pretty hard to do) etc.

Whatever you do good luck. I'm sure, like me, you've got a lot out of it though and will take that with you wherever you go.

Eric18 May 24th, 2007 05:34 pm

ESL may be like an old lover who will always take you back, but I've had many wonderful moments - even semesters- teaching English and sharing insights.

clivehawkins May 25th, 2007 12:48 am

Quote:

Quote Eric18
ESL may be like an old lover who will always take you back

You've been lucky!! :-)

ESL hasn't poured a pint over your head in a crowded pub or stood outside your house at 4 o'clock in the morning shouting insults while running a key along the side of your car!:eek:

Eric18 May 25th, 2007 02:12 am

Yes, I've been blessed in many ways.

There have been a few weird, somewhat disturbed folks but usually they just needed a place to spend time and feel heard and seen. I also did some time teaching inner-city high school "students" who could disturb you - on multiple levels. ;)

Of course, most of my experiences have been in Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area. I also tend to teach higher level classes in colleges and universities.

Eric18 May 25th, 2007 02:18 am

Why?

I teach at a university in Los Angeles during the year, and teach a month abroad in the summer. Last year, I taught in Madrid and this year I am going to Paris.

I'm also married, have the mortgage, and all the other usual excuses to give up traveling. I just refuse to trade my love of travel for a new sofa. We just make choices, and choose what you actually value over TV version of a good life.

At least that's my perspective.

emile May 27th, 2007 07:51 pm

Quote:

We just make choices, and choose what you actually value over TV version of a good life
I've noticed that there aren't too many tv shows about EFL teachers...

HUE May 28th, 2007 03:00 am

I'm going to chime in with a repeat of most of the comments here. I love teaching, think I'm pretty good at it, but often feel run down. I do a mix of curriculum development, teacher training, teacher management, classes at businesses and unis, and my website... all in an attempt to earn enough money to pay my mortgage, put food on the table, and stick a little (and I mean little) in the bank.

I'm hoping to begin earning more money through my website, and develop a few textbooks in the future. But, really, that's all speculative. I'm of the opinion that you stay in the business because you love helping people.

Or I could just write, produce, and star in a movie or TV show on EFL teachers!! :wacko:

emile Jun 4th, 2007 12:00 am

It's tough to stay motivated when teaching. You do it for a love of the language and helping people but then you sometimes wonder if it's worth it.

mesmark Jun 4th, 2007 12:23 am

Quote:

Quote emile
It's tough to stay motivated when teaching. You do it for a love of the language and helping people but then you sometimes wonder if it's worth it.

Same goes for anything, don't you think? You just do your best and hope it counts.

Valll9 Jun 4th, 2007 02:09 pm

I'm reading all of your responses... and it scares me a little!!! :(

Anyway.. I just wanted to say that I've recently been accepted in a Quebec University to have my bachelor's degree in teaching English as a second language! I've been helping out teachers and doing extra-curricular activities my whole secondary and College years that I can't wait to be the reral teacher now!

I don't plan to travel...yet. There are so many english teachers wanted in the french schools here...

What scares me a little is the way you guys say it isn't paid well, or that you are 'tired' and want to do something else with your life... I just hope you'll be doing whatever makes you happy... but don't discourage young people like me!! hahaha!!

That's all!!! :)

HUE Jun 29th, 2007 08:50 am

Valll9,

Congrats on your acceptance to Quebec University. Teaching English can be a hard job, but also a very rewarding one. There aren't many jobs that give you the chance to live and work abroad, and make a career of helping people.

Don't be discouraged by the posts... including mine! Like any job, a bit of complaining helps blow off steam. Looking back on my ten years in the classroom, I wouldn't change my decision to come to Japan, stay here, and teach -- it's much better than working in an office. And I'm most of us on this board would agree.

Good luck with your studies.