eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Ideas for 'my home town' (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/ideas-my-home-town-2443/)

stanley Nov 12th, 2006 05:20 am

Ideas for 'my home town'

Anyone have any ideas for a few lessons on 'my home town'. The obvious one is looking at a map and giving directions. The lessons are Speaking/Listening with mainly intermediate level 9-12 year olds. There are lots of things we could talk about - what we like/dislike about our town, what we would change, places we like to visit etc.. but I need a way to give these ideas a bit of structure and also a way to liven them up. Any suggestions? Thanks

stanley Nov 12th, 2006 05:24 am

Re: Ideas for 'my home town'

Just thought - it would be nice to use a song. All I can think of is 'Homeward bound' by Simon and Garfunkel and 'Dirty old town' by......The Pogues???? Can't quite remember. Any other 'hometown' songs?

Eric Nov 12th, 2006 05:45 am

"My Hometown" by Bruce Springsteen.
"Take Me Home, Country Roads" by John Denver.
"Our House" by CS&N... not so much about hometown but the imagery of the song is nice

mesmark Nov 12th, 2006 07:03 am

I like to have students make an advertisement for their town. Pretend you are going to publish it in the newspaper and have them fill up a certain sized square with the ad.

First they can brainstorm as a group about what should go in the ad and make notes. Then they can each write up the ad or do it as a group if they are all from the same place.

As a follow-up you can select different groups or individuals and have them make a new ad for a teen magazine, heavy metal magazine, home magazine or medical magazine. Whatever, but gear the magazines for different audiences and then ask them how they might change the ad. Then let them make the new ad.

clivehawkins Nov 13th, 2006 02:20 am

How about focusing on different times of the day ie what the town is like at 03.00 and then how it changes at 07.00, 10.00 etc etc.This will enable you to incorporate some nice vocabulary too - sleepy, quiet, stirring, lively, bustling, busy, active, chaotic, heavy traffic, calm, peaceful, loud, clean, dirty.

Then change days too. How is the town different at the weekend?

stanley Nov 13th, 2006 05:04 am

Thank you everyone. Some nice ideas for me to think about.

STCrowley Oct 2nd, 2009 04:15 am

Don't forget maybe planning a tour of their hometown. Maybe students from a city city in . . . I don't know, Timbuktu, are coming to visit for a week. What are the things that they 'have to' see, do, experience. What about their hometown is typical for their country, what isn't?