eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 9th, 2012, 01:52 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

sms04n is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching 4 & 5 year olds

Hello, I've been asked to do lessons with two children ages 4 & 5. This will be the youngest that I've ever taught. The children have just finished a Helen Doron class so they have had some exposure to English. Can anyone give me any ideas? I was thinking using lots of TPR, songs, some simple stories, games and flashcards (for vocab). However, I'm not sure in which order or if someone has better ideas please feel free to throw them my way! Thank you.
Unread Oct 5th, 2012, 08:13 am
eslHQ Member

eso34 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching 4 & 5 year olds

I think those are excellent tools! I would definitely start with TPR - in my experience as an ESL teacher in foreign school settings, many of the students (who want to learn and try to learn) pick things up the quickest through the TPR method. Start with simple things like commands - come here, go/leave, sit down, stand up, etc. But definitely include the flashcards, simple stories (which is a great tool to use the phrases "What is it?" or "Where is it?" or "What color is it?" etc.) and games. Play around with different things and don't be afraid; you'll be surprised how quickly they pick things up if they're constantly submerged in English.

If you're not sure where to start "curriculum" wise, start with ABC's, 123's and then move on to animals, colors, shapes, etc. It's much easier to build on English once a base has been established than to start haphazardly teaching things (something I learned the hard way) and then try to go back later and teach those things.

Another thing is don't speak their native tongue to them (if you can avoid it). They'll be forced to try to understand you and figure out what you're saying, and that's where TPR comes in so naturally as you speak and show/pick things up/move, etc. I talk more with my hands and body than I ever did before as I am teaching 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade ESL.

I hope that helps. Good luck and have a fun time teaching!
Unread Nov 13th, 2012, 11:33 am
eslHQ Member

Skunq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote eso34 View Post
I think those are excellent tools! I would definitely start with TPR - in my experience as an ESL teacher in foreign school settings, many of the students (who want to learn and try to learn) pick things up the quickest through the TPR method. Start with simple things like commands - come here, go/leave, sit down, stand up, etc. But definitely include the flashcards, simple stories (which is a great tool to use the phrases "What is it?" or "Where is it?" or "What color is it?" etc.) and games. Play around with different things and don't be afraid; you'll be surprised how quickly they pick things up if they're constantly submerged in English.

If you're not sure where to start "curriculum" wise, start with ABC's, 123's and then move on to animals, colors, shapes, etc. It's much easier to build on English once a base has been established than to start haphazardly teaching things (something I learned the hard way) and then try to go back later and teach those things.

Another thing is don't speak their native tongue to them (if you can avoid it). They'll be forced to try to understand you and figure out what you're saying, and that's where TPR comes in so naturally as you speak and show/pick things up/move, etc. I talk more with my hands and body than I ever did before as I am teaching 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade ESL.

I hope that helps. Good luck and have a fun time teaching!
Hi, could you guys explain what you mean by TPR method and give some examples/tools?

I'm new in teaching, having only taught for 2 months time in China. I've found this forum and a few other similar ones and are trying to pick up on everything I can in order to become a better teacher.

Thanks!
Unread Nov 16th, 2012, 04:05 am
eslHQ Member

Last edited by eso34 : Nov 16th, 2012 at 04:08 am. Reason: meant to reply to the response, not post a seperate answer completely
Unread Nov 16th, 2012, 04:09 am
eslHQ Member

TPR is Total Physical Response while teaching. Basically, you do what you say when teaching students ESL/EFL. These websites are helpful in figuring out what it is exactly and why it helps as you teach:
1. TPR: What Is Total Physical Response?.

2. Total Physical Response

3. Teaching approaches: total physical response | Onestopenglish

For different activities and useful ideas, just google TPR (or total physical repsonse) Activities. Also, youtube has a wide assortment of videos showing TPR activities.

Hope this helps!
Unread Nov 16th, 2012, 07:43 am
eslHQ Member

Skunq is on a distinguished road

Cheers!
Unread Nov 17th, 2012, 07:45 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

sms04n is on a distinguished road

I wanted to say thank you for your info. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.

Find the Best TEFL, TESL, TESOL & CELTA Certification Courses - User Submitted Ratings & Reviews for Online, Distance & Abroad TEFL Courses. Over 3,500 reviews of 100+ TEFL schools!

Teach English in Thailand - Onsite and Combined TEFL certification courses in Phuket, Thailand.

Free ESL Flashcards