eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 9th, 2007, 04:00 pm
eslHQ Member

OnlyMe is on a distinguished road
Default HELP for Mainstream teachers

Hello! I am new to the board, and I am needing help. I live in a very small community where I am the only ESL teacher with approximately 30 ESL students in K-12. My curriculum director would like me to put together a packet for the teachers on things they can do, etc when working with ESL students. Does anyone's district do this? Would you share? PLEASE and thank you.
Unread Sep 16th, 2007, 05:15 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP for Mainstream teachers

You've got your hands full. I would start with the few texts listed below, contact ALTA catalog, check out the leading publishers (Oxford, Cambridge, Pearson), and use their materials to create a coherent, integrated curriculum.

First, you must be very clear about the school district wants and expects. Some district have to conform to state standards, grade by grade, and I would also consult the adult education departments of larger cities in your state. Be explicit about what you want and don't want to teach students in various grade levels. Be prepared to provide options - perhaps borrowed from publishers - to compliment core subjects.

For weaker students, I would look to advise using a picture dictionary. There are several fine ones. You might use the Oxford Picture Dictionary to open conversations and writing assignments. Teachers can also ask students to bring in photographs and ads each week. As you know, teachers need patience and must be prepared to repeat words, concepts, and themes. Many students will want to work on their pronunciation.

For high school and adult students, you can also ask/assign them listening activities on the web. I like Voice of America's Special English programs for intermediate and advanced students. You will have to direct lower level to websites to practice their listening and speaking skills with drills. They will love the work; you might go mad repeating vowel sounds.

For writing skills, I recommend Keith Folse's Great Essays for high school students. For worse or for better, the focus is on standardized testing - and structure and not content matters more on the few standardized writing exams. Spelling, somehow, often doesn't even officially matter. You might also use the excellent Cambridge Vocabulary in Use series and Grammar in Use series. You can also recommend Grammar Troublespots - at least for high school students.

Don't forget to celebrate the new homeland of students. Along those lines, students also love the idioms and find the perspective illuminates unknown aspects of American culture - or at least a segment of American culture.

Finally, for students who want to improve their conversation, I strongly suggest that you select the topic and materials in advance. You can use newspapers and/or magazines to find appropriate articles to begin the conversation. (I usually assign the articles a week ahead and give them my conversation worksheets.) My favorite book - because I wrote it and it provides 45 self-contained thematic chapters - is Compelling Conversations: Questions and Quotations on Timeless Topics. The combination of poignant questions, vocabulary lists, proverbs, and witty quotations makes your job much easier. Cambridge University also has some excellent resources for new ESL teachers.

ESL placement tests are notorious for misplacing students, but there is no substitute for long, personal tests. Otherwise, you will have to deal with mixed level classes - and all the headaches that inevitably follow. Budget time, money, and personnel to avoid that problem.

As William Shakespeare noted four centuries ago, "All's well that ends well". Set clear goals for your year and level, and conclude when the students have reached that goal.

Enough said. Perhaps too much. Good luck.

Eric
eric@compellingconversations.com
www.compellingconversations.com

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
Aristotle, 4th Century BCE, Greek philosopher