eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Idioms (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/idioms-5789/)

linn0099 Sep 8th, 2007 12:12 pm

Idioms

Does anyone have any information concerning Idioms?
My students really enjoy the American idioms and I would like to have some lists or worksheets.
Any information would be great!
Thanks
linn0099

clivehawkins Sep 10th, 2007 08:14 am

Re: Idioms

That's interesting to hear. Most of mine shy away from them as they find them confusing.

I use "Idioms" published by Oxford. The ISBN number is 0-19-431545-2.

It explains British and American idioms, with many orogins too.
Hope that helps.

michèle 2 Sep 10th, 2007 09:00 am

in this site you'll find a list of American idioms with examples.
English Daily - Learn American idioms, English conversation

Michèle

linn0099 Sep 10th, 2007 10:08 am

Great, thanks. I took French when I was younger and once a week we would learn different French idioms. It was my favourite time of the week, so I would like to see what my students think. Also, it gives them something to show the other kids so they will think they know more.

susan53 Sep 10th, 2007 04:13 pm

There are some British ones here ...

HUE Sep 10th, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm curious how everyone feels about idioms. Do you like to teach them? Do you like to use them in dialogues, as part of the target language, etc.?

I have a real hard time with idioms, because they are often so culture and age specific. They're the hardest part of language learning, and can make the student sound less fluent than he/she really is when used incorrectly. I always advise my students to understand idioms, but to be very cautious in using them.

DaveESL Sep 12th, 2007 09:42 am

I discourage my students from spending a lot of time studying idioms. In my experience, they're often presented out of context (ie a list or worksheet with no other purpose than to introduce idioms). I agree with what Chris says about them being so culture specific, too. I advise my students to wait and see what idioms they encounter naturally (in their reading and listening) and learn them as they go. Each student will probably have a very different experience. I take the same approach with slang.

Dahiana Sep 12th, 2007 04:38 pm

:doh:
Quote:

Quote linn0099 (Post 11071)
Does anyone have any information concerning Idioms?
My students really enjoy the American idioms and I would like to have some lists or worksheets.
Any information would be great!
Thanks
linn0099

DaveESL Sep 13th, 2007 02:13 am

Oh, I just remembered a textbook that might be useful. A few years ago I taught a short course on idioms using Can You Believe It?

Each unit presents 10 or so idioms in the context of a "real life" story. First students read the story, then there are discussion and written activities in which they review the idioms. As far as idiom books go, I think it's good because they are presented in context with actual meaning. I think there are three levels.

michèle 2 Sep 13th, 2007 03:13 am

There's a book called " Practising idioms" by Donald Watson
( Nelson) for intermediate students. there're dialogues
showing realistic situations and gap-filling exercises and the units are organized thematically. I found it very useful and but the edition I've got dates back to the 1990's!!
Michèle