eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 20th, 2006, 06:07 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

stanley is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone bought this on-line book?

Has anyone bought Shelley Vernon's on-line book of teaching games. I like her sample ideas and what she says about the teaching of games but am a little hesitant about forking out such a lot of money for an electronic book. Be interested to hear from anyone in the know (except Shelley! - sorry, but you may be just a little biased! )
Unread Aug 20th, 2006, 06:27 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone bought this on-line book?

Quote:
Quote stanley
Has anyone bought Shelley Vernon's on-line book of teaching games. I like her sample ideas and what she says about the teaching of games but am a little hesitant about forking out such a lot of money for an electronic book. Be interested to hear from anyone in the know (except Shelley! - sorry, but you may be just a little biased! )
How much is it? What level are the games for? I have never bought an electronic book but it could be worth it if the book was useful. There's something about reading online that is strange to me!
Unread Aug 20th, 2006, 04:44 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I haven't purchased it, but I have bought a lot of other books. Some really good, some not at all. That's just part of the deal. Any professional subscribes to professional magazines or buys books for advice, help, new information ...

In all fairness to Shelly, I imagine it's wellworth the money. You'll probably only get 10-15 games or so that you can actually use. That's not to say the other won't be good but they probably won't suit you, the teacher, or your students at this time. If it saves you some lesson planning time and brightens up some of your lessons making your job easier, it will be worth it. And I repeat, you'll probably get 10-15 games usable in your classes. That's a lot of games!

Now, $30 is a little steep for an e-book, considering there's no publisher cut or printing expenses on her part. You can also hop onto almost any established ESL forum and find more than 101+ games. I'm sure it (the ebook) will be similar but well indexed with some original content.

Take a look at amazon or some other sites and compare.

Last edited by mesmark : Aug 21st, 2006 at 07:16 am.
Unread Aug 21st, 2006, 06:26 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

What's the website for the book?
Unread Aug 21st, 2006, 07:12 am
eslHQ superstar!

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Unread Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:08 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

openmind is on a distinguished road

Hi, while we are at reviewing ESL products, what do you think of the "ESL School Finder" by Jake Peebles?
Unread Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:48 am
eslHQ superstar!

Quote:
Quote openmind
Hi, while we are at reviewing ESL products, what do you think of the "ESL School Finder" by Jake Peebles?
http://www.esl-school-finder.com/

Again $30. Maybe that's the going rate?

I wouldn't buy this because I'm not looking for a job but another reason is it's an ESL school phonebook of sorts. Sure I can find a school in a particular area but that doesn't mean they are hiring. Random resume shooting works well in high volume areas. Those will be larger cities and I'm sure you're better off looking at recruiting agencies or job postings in forums if you are wanting to work in high profile areas.

If you're looking for a job in a small town somewhere and have no connections or have never been there, but want to teach there, it may be worth the $30. But you can probably still just get some recruitment agency in that country to find a job for you in that little town or near it. Let them do the work for free.
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 06:14 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Dear Stanley and Mark,

Thank you for discussing my e-book. I would like to give you three pieces of information relevant to your comments - but no sales hype.

I have created a testimonials page on my site - which is genuine, created from comments sent in spontaneously, and published with permission.

I give a 100% refund if people are not happy. I have not had to refund yet on content thank goodness. (I refunded someone who did not realise it was an e-book and never downloaded it, and two people who paid twice).

And you can check out hundreds of 5* reviews for my books on Amazon. Anyone who knows about selling books on Amazon will know that you can't fake reviews and it takes a while to get them. So...if a book has hundreds of great reviews, that means it's a great book !

This page takes you to my Amazon author profile in different countries.

I hope this post is useful, and if not we ask to have it removed.

Kind regards
Shelley

Last edited by Pix : Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:06 am.
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 07:47 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

I have to say that $30 sounds a bit too steep to me, too. It's probably a reasonable price in some parts of the world, but teachers here in Malaysia would be very unlikely to buy it when they can see similar books in the local shops for about a quarter of the price and they get the chance to browse through it first.

Pricing eBooks is a tricky business, the writer wants a return on the time he invested in writing it. Too low and the price puts people off, too high and the price puts people off, too.
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 09:33 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

it looks like its packed with information and good stuff but its hard to know.

shelley, are there any sample pages on your site so potential buyers could get an idea of whats inside and what it looks like?

eric