eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:34 pm
eslHQ Member

LeenaBuenosAires is on a distinguished road
Default 3 hr. private lesson with a 10 year old boy!

Hi all,

I have a 10 yr old student whose mother wants 3 hour classes for him once a week. It's his summer vacation too; however, she says he's very academic so it's not a problem for him to continue this on his time off.

He goes to a bilingual English/Spanish school and apparently has a really good level. She says she wants the 3 hours to be like his classes in school. She wants me to teach him literature, writing, grammar, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make this academic, fun and above all, make it last effectively for 3 hours?!?!? I've thought about creative writing activities, working with comics, reading comprehension exercises, etc. but I doubt all of that would take up 3 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Leena
Unread Jan 5th, 2010, 08:38 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 hr. private lesson with a 10 year old boy!

Wow, I'd also be interested in an answer to this. I also think that 3 hours is a very long period for one class. Academic kids do get bored, too. Good luck to you!
Unread Jan 6th, 2010, 03:10 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

If it was up to me, I'd change it to 1.5 hours, 2 times a week. A boy that young may have a hard time focusing for 3 intensive hours. If the mother is determined to keep the original schedule, see if she will let him take a 10 or 15 minute break between the first and second halves.
Definitely give him a variety of activities, and include some hands-on and visual ones.
Unread Jan 8th, 2010, 04:16 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

I agree with the people above, if I had to have 3 hour lessons instead of torturing the child, I would definitely fool that mother and have fun with the kid for half of the time (in English!)
Unread Jan 8th, 2010, 04:18 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote bread_baker View Post
If it was up to me, I'd change it to 1.5 hours, 2 times a week. A boy that young may have a hard time focusing for 3 intensive hours. If the mother is determined to keep the original schedule, see if she will let him take a 10 or 15 minute break between the first and second halves.
Definitely give him a variety of activities, and include some hands-on and visual ones.

I would make an one-hour break (by playing games, etc)
but I still think the child would be too tired after two hours and unable to concentrate on anything new.
Unread Jan 8th, 2010, 06:30 pm
eslHQ Member

LeenaBuenosAires is on a distinguished road

Okay... So I had my first class with this boy yesterday and I wanted to let you all know how it went. First of all, he goes to a bilingual school (a very common thing here in Argentina for the upper-middle class) and thus speaks EXCELLENT English.

The reason his mother wants him to take English classes so intensively throughout the summer is that they might move to the USA at some point and that she wants him to be up to speed. But he already is.

The activities I had planned for him were far too childish. He's an extremely academic kid and took the class very seriously, although it was quite a bit under his level. We read some of Aesop's fables (he understood nearly everything) and I had him write his own fable. He knew exactly what a fable was, who Aesop was and everything. He explained perfectly to me what similes, metaphors and other literary devices were (like irony and sarcasm) etc.

Now I'm scratching my head - WHAT do I do with this kid? He certainly wouldn't see the value of playing and having fun - different kind of kid. He told me yesterday that he wants to become a lawyer but that perhaps it would be difficult to study law in Argentina and then practice law in the states or vice versa, as the legislation is obviously so different. 10 years old.

Hmmm. Any ideas?
Unread Jan 9th, 2010, 02:25 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi Leena,
If he comes to the USA at age 10, he'll be in 5th grade. All his English skills will need to be at 5th grade level. Don't assume all his skills are. Let him show you.
I don't know how your libraries are down there. See if you can get some English books from the library - 5th grade level. Prepare comprehension questions. Have him read, then give him the questions. He can answer orally (easier) or in writing. When those books are too easy, move up to 6th grade level.
Ask him what his interests are, then choose books according to his interests. Ask him about specific sports, science, technology, famous people he likes, etc. Many famous people and American presidents were lawyers. Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer before he became president. You may find some interesting biographies in the children's collection of the library. What do you think?

Last edited by bread_baker : Jan 9th, 2010 at 02:29 pm. Reason: added information
Unread Jan 9th, 2010, 02:36 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Here's a website that he can't outgrow:

RepeatAfterUs.com -- Online library and language lab -- copyright-free English texts and recordings

This listening website is jam-packed with literature from many genres, and pieces are at different levels of difficulty. You can select a piece, then design activities based on it. I see nothing wrong with 2 hours spent on a piece (because of different activities you add to it).
Unread Jan 21st, 2010, 07:57 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road

Wow, that sounds like you have my dream student, Leena. Yet, he may be very bright and too academic for his age, but for sure he could be lacking skills on certain other areas. Spend your time trying to look for that weak spot and concentrate on that, or focus your lessons on that weak spot. Is he weak in sports? Maybe you can focus your lessons on American sports like baseball. Or perhaps music?
Unread Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:28 am
eslHQ Member

chalky is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 3 hr. private lesson with a 10 year old boy!

[quote=LeenaBuenosAires;25601]Hi all,

After the first hour or so of "normal" efl activities just play with him but only speaking English. Anything that intersts him. Watch an English DVD Harry Potter?? ( one over 2/3 weeks) . Perhaps half an hour a week follow up questions, etc etc