eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 30th, 2008, 10:54 am
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mistakes that new teachers make

I paid too much attention to my dressing. I thought I had to change every day. The students soon started to throw funny names at me.
Unread Dec 1st, 2008, 03:27 pm
eslHQ Member

paddyfrog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote clivehawkins View Post
Interesting. I've rolled my 'r' since living in Italy.
hey! I roll mine too and I teach in France... amazing
Unread Apr 19th, 2011, 12:02 pm
eslHQ Member

teacherclic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote HUE View Post
I initially made the mistake of assuming that I must always be right. I've since realized that it's perfectly alright to say "I don't know" or "Let me check and get back to you." Before I finally realized this seemingly simple point, I couldn't count how many times I had launched into an explanation only to then realize that I didn't understand the language point well enough to give a clear, concise answer.
Iīve made that mistake one or two times too. I go into explaining, and then I canīt finish.
Unread May 21st, 2011, 10:17 am
eslHQ Member

swerve is on a distinguished road

I'm a new teacher myself, so I'm noticing and trying to correct mistakes as I go. I think the biggest one so far is me talking too much or not giving the students enough time to answer my questions. Which I must say is unusual given that I'm a quiet person by nature. When I let them do the talking it makes my job so much easier. Live and learn!
Unread Sep 30th, 2011, 12:48 am
eslHQ Member

klwolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Denis DNT View Post
I paid too much attention to my dressing. I thought I had to change every day. The students soon started to throw funny names at me.
Hmm, I've noticed that people don't change everyday... still haven't started doing it myself, though. I just recently started teaching in Dalian. Just curious, what kinds of funny names should I look out for?
Unread Oct 14th, 2011, 12:03 am
eslHQ Member

iman123 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Mistakes that new teachers make

Pink Lady,

If I to pick one piece of advice for a new teacher, plan your lesson from what you are exactly going to write on the board, handout, and even say, and plan at least 2-3 exercises...always...every class. I've had some lessons that I spent hours on, and my students ran through them in mere minute. Then you're left with nothing. If you over plan, you will always use it in the future. It will not be a waste! AND HAVE FUN!! I don't understand all this 'you have be to so strict and stern'. My students are learning quickly and we are having a blast. By far, we are the loudest class in the building!
Unread Nov 28th, 2011, 05:13 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

arielhud is on a distinguished road

I think my biggest mistake was feeling like I couldn't rely on my boss to help me. I was fresh out of college and suddenly in the position of head teacher at my school, and for the first three months, I felt like I was on probation and constant surveillance (as my boss goes in and talks to my adult students after every class). It was really nerve-wracking.

I really should have asked more questions then, since I was being charged with creating an entire curriculum from scratch, new flashcards, and was taking over 70% of the school's classes- there were no notes from the previous head teacher, and my boss could have helped me so much in understanding what the children, adults and babies were used to so that I didn't alienate them entirely.

Regardless, now I know to mention things often with him, whether they are small or big, good or bad, and with that repertoire, I'm able to balance the needs of being a good and fun teacher while understanding what my boss needs from me as a manager.
Unread Dec 16th, 2011, 02:28 am
eslHQ Member

Balio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote iman123 View Post
Pink Lady,

I don't understand all this 'you have be to so strict and stern'. My students are learning quickly and we are having a blast. By far, we are the loudest class in the building!
I think being a "hard a$$" is a bit strong wording, but the idea of maintaining control, I've found is really important.

I just started teaching a month ago (no experience, no training) and the biggest mistake I made was with my one class of 5 year olds during my first week. We were doing nursery rhymes, and I was saving some colouring sheets for the last 10 minutes of class. With around 20 minutes left, they wanted to colour and started chanting "colour, colour". I basically gave up and let them colour. I realized my mistake after I'd handed out the sheets. They were good for the rest of the class, but since then, every single day, they have continually yelled for colours. Now, about 3 weeks later (I have made a point not to let them colour since then) it is barely starting to subside.

To clarify, it is important to be the one in control, not to be mean. I still did fun stuff with my students since then, and I am still very popular with the students in all my classes, but because of that one incident, it is still one of the most difficult classes for me to control.
Unread Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:26 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

sms04n is on a distinguished road

My biggest mistake so far, since I haven't been teaching long, would be speaking too fast! Especially being American, we tend to speak too fast!
Unread Apr 25th, 2012, 11:37 pm
eslHQ Member

B52H is on a distinguished road

Yup, speaking in the students L1 is a big sin. But sometimes this can't be helped, especially at lower age groups. One of the mistakes that a new teacher can make is talking too much. Language classes are distinct from regular classes.
Unread Apr 26th, 2012, 01:46 am
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

Talking too much, yeah. That reminds me of those years in training. I had a teacher who used to stress on that fact, requiring us to do not more than 40% of the talking in a spoken English lesson. It wasn't easy.
Click here to join.
Unread Apr 27th, 2012, 03:12 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

I guess it is not so difficult if you keep in mind that your primary job is to make the students talk. You ask the same/similar questions to lots of students, and that consumes plenty of time.