eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 24th, 2013, 06:32 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

tinyteachinthemaking is on a distinguished road
Default Help!!! - Advice on 90 - minute listening and speaking classes

Hello guys,

I'd posted a thread asking for suggestions for EAP classes on the esl activities and games forum. It turns out that I'm going to be teaching pre- sessional listening and speaking Ielts classes to future Master students at Glasgow University.

I've never actually prepared students for Ielts exams and am a wee bit stuck.

I've taught speaking classes before and enjoy it immensely, but never 90 minute classes! I only have the student's book (no Ielts Teachers book available) and am terrified that the first lesson will drag.

My class is comprised mainly of Asian students, who are notoriously shy, so that is adding to my sense of growing panic.

After talking them through the administrative side of the course, I was thinking of preparing a needs -analysis questionnaire, just so I can get a feel about the class, and playing a getting to know you game for the first 20 minutes, then slowly easing into the activities in the student's book.

Any other suggestions?

Am rather desperate!

Thanks you all in advance!
Unread Feb 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help!!! - Advice on 90 - minute listening and speaking classes

Hi,
I currently prepare students for IELTS. I might have a few useful ideas for you.
1. What score are your IELTS students aiming at?
2. What's the first language of your students. My students are Chinese native speakers.
Here are some speaking activities I have in my classes:
1. Audio files exchange: I give out speaking topics to students. They do the speaking at home and record everything using the recorders on their cellphones. All the Mp3 files are then played in class. We all listen to them together, point out mistakes and correct them. Students who do very well share their files (usually using Bluetooth) with the other students. I have enjoyed this activity as it makes the lesson less boring.
2. If your students have a very low English level try lots of question and answer sessions beginning from very simple questions. In such classes I have a rule. "Never answer a question with less than 4 words" It is a useful rule to help them stop shying away from speaking.
.>> You can find many of my students at our IELTS group located here at this link. The group also has a lot of IELTS speaking topics and useful vocabulary for practice. You might want to connect them with your students to help motivate them.
>> We also have great videos full of IELTS tips here.

All the best
Denis
Click here to join.
Unread Feb 9th, 2013, 06:03 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

tinyteachinthemaking is on a distinguished road

Hi Denis,

Thank you so much for your helpful advice.

I'm also teaching Chinese students who have to reach an IELTS score of 5.5. at the end of the course.

The trouble is, that the class has mixed ability students, some are quite strong and outgoing when it comes to speaking, others are severely limited.

I had thought of having them prepare a topic and record it; I know that many of them would be mortified if they had to play their mp3 files in class.

I'll see if I can work my way around that.

Thanks also for the links, I will certainly make the class aware of them.

Best,
Emily.
Unread Feb 9th, 2013, 09:44 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

Hi Emily,
I can understand the difficulty working with students with mixed levels. While the high level student thinks your lessons are too basic the low level student thinks they are too hard as you try to deal with all their problems. It is a serious problem that schools ignore.
I am based in Shanghai and my students will be happy to connect with yours. You're welcome any time.
Happy New Year of the snake to them
Click here to join.