eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 12:29 am
eslHQ Member

SleepyLP is on a distinguished road
Default Have you read any good ESL Books?

This is a call to all those experienced teachers who have done some research/reading about teaching English as a foreign language.

I've been teaching for almost 3 years, two years at a conversation school and am currently at a junior high. I haven't done enough reading and would like to start to get some more teaching theory behind my teaching style. Trial and error worked for a whle, but I'd like to read some experienced thoughts and theories.

Anyone read any goods books about this?
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 03:15 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Have you read any good ESL Books?

It's not an ESL book as such, but if you'd like some fresh ideas there's a really good section in the back of the teacher's book to Natural English (Intermediate), published by Oxford.

There are 6 Teacher Development chapters:
How to - activate vocabulary
- introduce new language
- teach listening
- monitor and give feedback
- do free speaking
- teach phonetic script

It's great for helping you 'get out of a rut' as far as your teaching is concerned. I admit mine was getting pretty stale and this gave me one or two new ideas for a fresher approach.

Hope that helps.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 03:34 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

I haven't read any books. I like to read what other teachers have done/are doing. I think it also helps to reflect on the lesson that you have just done and think of at least 3 ways that you feel you could have improved it.

Quote:
Trial and error worked for a whle
I think that some of the best activies and approaches come from trial and error by looking at where you can improve them.
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 03:53 am
eslHQ Member

SleepyLP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote clivehawkins

It's great for helping you 'get out of a rut' as far as your teaching is concerned. I admit mine was getting pretty stale and this gave me one or two new ideas for a fresher approach.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, to get out or a rut and get some more life into my students (they're JH kids), a boost in my teaching, and improve my lessons all at the same time.

Quote:
Quote simplyesl

I think that some of the best activies and approaches come from trial and error by looking at where you can improve them.
I agree whole heartedly. I'm just always trying to lower the errors, not that I'll ever have a perfect lesson but I can try
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 04:17 am
Clive Hawkins

At the end of the day the will to improve is the most important thing. How you do it isn't important.

I agree with simplyesl that reading a book isn't always the best way, but sometimes just a simple suggestion can change your whole approach and get the creative juices flowing again. Whether that comes from a peer or a book is irrelevant.

Thats' why teachers meetings should be about sharing and suggesting rather than bitching, moaning and oneupmanship.

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 04:22 am
SimplyESL

At my school, we do a monthly "workshop" where we focus on improving an area of our teaching.
our two managers prepare some things, but it's basically an open forum to discuss a particular teaching area.
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 04:28 am
Clive Hawkins

good idea.

Do you observe lessons too?
I know most teachers hate being watched but I in fact enjoy hearing what others think. Above all when you're in that phase, I don't know if you ever go through it, when you think you're doing everything as you should but for some reason the lesson falls flat and you can't put your finger on why. That's when third party criticism is most valuable.

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 04:37 am
SimplyESL

Yes, our managers observe us every three months.
We can also observe other teachers, if we want to see how they teach a particular age group.
New teachers observe us, aswell. I think it's a great idea that new teachers do observations because it lets them see a lesson in action and they can discuss aspects of the lesson after it is over.