eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   New conversation class. Ideas pleeeeze (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/new-conversation-class-ideas-pleeeeze-8933/)

jellybeanenglisch Jun 17th, 2008 02:04 am

New conversation class. Ideas pleeeeze

Hi. I will be taking over an ESL conversation class (adults). 2 problems there:
1. the class has been together for approx. 4 years and I'm new. How do I get to know everyone without boring them, since they already know each other. Class size: about 8 people. Level: advanced.
2. the current teacher is a native speaker whereas I am not :eek:

Any ideas:confused:

D&DD Jun 24th, 2008 01:29 am

Re: New conversation class. Ideas pleeeeze

I'm not sure if this would work but how about getting them to talk about each other so that you could get to know them a bit better. That could perhaps even get a few laughs and the like from the group. I've never tried this but the idea just came to me a while after reading your post so I thought I'd give it you. If you use it and it works please let me know.

Good luck

clivehawkins Jun 24th, 2008 03:00 am

How about this idea?
Write up on the board 10 statements about you, some true, some false. Taking each statement in turn, they have to ask you a load of questions to determine whether each one is in fact true or false. Make sure they realize it's a bit of a game and that they have to find out if you're lying or not.
suggested statements:
I have three dogs (What breed are they, how old are they, where do they sleep etc)
I've met David Hasselhoff (Where, when, what did you say etc)
My husband used to play professional football (when, for which teams, when retire etc)
I once stole a chocolate bar in London
I do karate
I was born in a taxi
etc

Good luck!

mesmark Jun 24th, 2008 04:48 am

Here's a podcast on new classes with adults:
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » New Classes With Adults

jellybeanenglisch Jun 24th, 2008 07:07 am

Thank you for this idea. I will use it and let you know how it went. Fingers crossed

gigi116 Jul 8th, 2008 06:28 am

Hi for the first day or so you could focus on yourself and have the class learn about you as suggested before. Even though they are adults they like to play games often so class isn't boring. For other class days you might want to try Breaking News English ESL Lesson Plans for Current Events they have current events and appropriate advanced and beginning lessons for the current events on the website. You can also try the Korea Times, they have a Dear Abby section with Korean vocab. to help students with some of the more difficult or metaphorical English words in the column. Hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Gigi

jellybeanenglisch Jul 8th, 2008 07:09 am

Hi Gigi, thanks so much for your valuable ideas! The class will start in September, so I'll have plenty of time preparing during the summer. By the way, I am in Germany, so no Korean Times here (but we have Spotlight and Newsweek). Thanks again!!!

gigi116 Jul 8th, 2008 07:51 am

No problem, glad I can help. Sorry about that, I assumed you were in Korea like me, didn't read your location...