eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 24th, 2008, 10:17 pm
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Is non-biased ESL possible?

I understand it's not fair for an ESL teacher to disregard their own culture when teaching but do you think a non-biased ESL is possible? Do you think a universal ESL can be created that doesn't favor one country's English over another?

Whether it's truely possible, it's an interesting idea...
Unread Mar 25th, 2008, 04:11 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is non-biased ESL possible?

It certainly is an interesting idea. However, if I've understood correctly, I don't think it's possible - at least not from my point of view. I'm English and so teach British English, not because I think it's 'better' than other forms but because it's the only one I know. In order to not favour one over the other we'd all need to be 'expert' in all the other varieties (US, AUS, CAN, etc).
One thing I DO try though is to use examples \ set contexts from all over the world, not just pulling out stuff solely from The UK.

Anyone else?

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Mar 25th, 2008, 05:27 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Language is a part of culture. You can't separate them. So, the only way to have a culturally bland language that would cross all borders as acceptable would mean we'd need to have a ubiquitous global community with the same cultural and cultural values.

aside:
I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching culture along with teaching language. However, you need to respect that L1 and L2, as well as C1 (culture 1) and C2 are simply different, neither is right or wrong.
Unread Mar 25th, 2008, 05:01 pm
eslHQ Member

Siddhartha is on a distinguished road

I think what Mark said was right on – you can’t truly separate culture from language...nor would you really want to. The fact that language and culture are so closely intertwined is exciting.

You just have to be aware of the different cultural assumptions, assertions and implications that go along with the language you teach, and strive to present things in a spirit of open exploration, rather than proselytizing.

The key for both teachers and students is awareness and a non-judgmental approach.
Unread Mar 30th, 2008, 07:31 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's very likely or possible within the near future - maybe 50 years from now when the world is more integrated.

People tried to do something like this with Esperanto, an artificially constructed language, but it was a killer trying to get people to use it.
Unread Mar 30th, 2008, 07:33 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

... and come to think of it, the Headway Series is terrible for this ... 'In this unit, we will listen to an audio clip of the British Prime Minister discussing fish and chips...'
Unread Mar 31st, 2008, 12:03 am
Clive Hawkins

Quote:
Quote emile View Post
... and come to think of it, the Headway Series is terrible for this ... 'In this unit, we will listen to an audio clip of the British Prime Minister discussing fish and chips...'
I'm not headway's biggest fan but I wouldn't say their listenings are so biased. In fact, I'd say half of the listenings in the Intermediate book I'm using at the moment are non-native speakers, a lot of Americans and the rest British (English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh).

What is interesting though is no matter where the non-native speaker is from, the students understand them better than the native speakers. Curious.

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Apr 1st, 2008, 08:12 am
eslHQ Member

puu_sawn is on a distinguished road

Reminds me of a quote by a Romanian/French author I like, Emil M. Cioran. (A bit of a pessimistic read, don't judge me LOL) Anyway, it says " One does not inhabit a country; one inhabits a language"

Reminds me of what Mark said, language and culture are inseparable. Even teaching in the US, being so involved with other cultures and languages at times I feel as if I could be in the students home country.

Of course... I'm always confused by what exactly is American Culture? McDonalds, Coca-cola, blue jeans, baseball?
Unread Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:44 am
eslHQ Addict

I'm not saying ESL should be taught in a manner that divorces one's own culture, what I've been thinking about is if culture can be separated from basic ESL acquistion to help learners have one focused goal to aim for, and help ESL teachers get on the same page, despite being from English countries all across the world?

I understand there is nothing we can do about accents but I'm wondering if it's possible to create a base ESL course that all English speakers can agree on?

Once again, I'm just thinking outloud. While it may never exist, the possibilty is intriguing...
Unread Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:16 am
eslHQ Member

Siddhartha is on a distinguished road

A world Standard English dialect that we all (even native English speakers from the various countries) learn, use and teach?

Theoretically possible.

Check out David Crystal’s “English as a Global Language” especially pages 136-140.
Unread Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:57 am
Clive Hawkins

Yes, in theory it could work, but languages evolve over time, from place to place and so even a standardized English would mutate soon enough. Assuming we're all working off the same page, the students we teach would then go out and use this standard English, making changes along the way.

I just can't see it happening. Anyone else?

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Apr 15th, 2008, 05:49 am
eslHQ Member

bound4thenations is on a distinguished road

I'm an American working in a Hungarian school, where they use mostly British English course books. Fortunately, my school recognizes the fact that English is spoken in so many ways around the world. So, I teach from a lot of materials from the web, and just make up my own lessons. The students like to know when something is UK or US English. When they ask me what something is, I try to give them both (if I know the UK word). They're now to the point where I say "It's called a sweater OR a jumper...what's the difference?" "UK/US!" "That's right, which is which?" You get the idea. They've gotten really used to it.

I have one fun activity I like to do if I have a substitution, or just need a filler lesson. Get a list of UK/US "translations" (some course books have them) and choose one of the "languages." Tell the students to write a story using a given number of words from either UK or US English. They can work in pairs. Then they trade with another pair and they have to "translate" the story into the other language. It's really good practice, and it allows the students to be creative! I've learned a lot too!

I think it only benefits my students if I educate myself as to the different uses of English. We're asking them to learn a WHOLE new language...we (native speakers) can learn a little too!

Good discussion!
Unread Apr 15th, 2008, 08:05 pm
eslHQ Addict

I like that idea of translating a story from English to English. That's a pretty cool idea!
Unread Apr 15th, 2008, 11:57 pm
android

the Obscure is on a distinguished road

Besides the fact that it would make English easier to teach if everyone spoke it the same, I don't see any other reasons that would make a Universal English worthwhile. There are too many countries and cultures involved that use English as a national and/or official language. One of the most interesting aspects of languages is their ability to adapt and morph- such as the way that different generations use slang, and the ways that different Englishes use slang.
I don't think it's necessary or even desirable to teach an in-depth cultural lesson with language, but there are lots of little ways that culture influences language that should be taken into account. For example, in English, using you to refer to someone (Would you like some coffee?) is totally fine but referring to someone by name if they're in the room (Saying "Would Amy like some coffee?" to Amy) would be considered pretty condescending. But, if you're speaking in Japanese, using 'anata' would be pretty impolite, so it's best to either use the person's name, or omit the subject altogether. I takes awhile to get used to people talking to you as if they're talking about you when you're not used to it, but it's ridiculous for me to expect Japanese people to speak to me in Japanese as I would speak to people in English. Just as Japanese language is a reflection of Japanese culture, Canadian English is a reflection of Canadian culture. That's what makes it exciting to learn languages. If we tried to make Australian, American, British, South African, Indian, Philippino English, etc., etc. the same, then the English language would be dead.
Unread Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:53 pm
eslHQ Member

nikkuchan is on a distinguished road

Trying to create a non-biased English program would essentially be like creating a new language. You'd have to develop some sort of neutral English that features no specific influences from any country, or a sort of super English that features all influences on the language from every country where it's spoken. Either way, you'll end up teaching a form of English that nobody actually speaks, and I think that's much worse.

For some reason I'm reminded of Esperanto.

In any case, whatever English you teach, it's still English.