eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 6th, 2009, 09:00 am
eslHQ Member

Ellio is on a distinguished road
Default One to One Adult 3 hour Private lessons

Hi I'm newish to ESL and I have been asked by my new employer to carry out three 3 hour one to one sessions in a weeks time to a Paster from Israel. The only information I have is that he can speak some English and can write e-mails. He needs to improve his confidence particually with spoken English... any advice? I don't know where to start! The sessions will be one after the other, e.g. 3 hrs Mon, Tues & Wed.
Unread Nov 6th, 2009, 08:36 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One to One Adult 3 hour Private lessons

Do you know where or how he'll be using English?

Can you contact him now via email to discuss what he wants to get out of the classes?

That's a big bulk time slot. I assume the first day will be the hardest, but after that you'll have some idea on how to progress.
Unread Nov 7th, 2009, 02:57 am
eslHQ Member

Thanks for your reply; unfortunately I do not know a lot about him and the person who has arranged his lessons hasn't provided his e-mail address, although I guess I could go back to him.

Three hours is a long time and then being followed up by two further days stragitht afterwards is worrying me... hence why I am up early on a Saturday!

I guess I could pick some topics to talk about, perhaps stick to safe ones like home, work etc. but then it may not be that exciting!
Unread Nov 14th, 2009, 07:12 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road

Maybe this is too late, but my advice is to just start talking. . . start really simple with "where are you from" and "what's your name" and make notes to yourself about the mistakes you hear him make. (Some students freak out about notes, others like to see you 'working,' is my experience.) And go from there. A pastor should be a communicative person in general, so, with luck, you're job will be just to draw him out in English a little.
Unread Nov 14th, 2009, 03:50 pm
eslHQ Member

Thank you for your reply, you are not too late.. the first session is this Monday! I think you have made a good point; I will start it simple and take it from there. Hopefully after the first morning I will be able to plan a session for his level for the next day.
Unread Jan 5th, 2010, 05:51 am
eslHQ Member

brightpinkflowers is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: One to One Adult 3 hour Private lessons

Quote:
Quote Ellio View Post
Thanks for your reply; unfortunately I do not know a lot about him and the person who has arranged his lessons hasn't provided his e-mail address, although I guess I could go back to him.

Three hours is a long time and then being followed up by two further days stragitht afterwards is worrying me... hence why I am up early on a Saturday!

I guess I could pick some topics to talk about, perhaps stick to safe ones like home, work etc. but then it may not be that exciting!
Ellio...I think you can use cue cards to teach him tenses ....

eg _ verb on cue card DRIVING
Now ask him to speak ...ask him to make a sentence in the present tense orally...

Alternatively...you could give him rules for word order like...

Time Expression + Subject + Verb

or the opposite

Everyday I go to work

use paper cards(cue cards)...prepare them before the class starts...to get him speaking ...all the best...luv n luck-meg