eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   One to one classes (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/one-one-classes-1937/)

g-cogle Sep 27th, 2006 12:48 pm

One to one classes

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to make one to one classes more interesting? I try to make them fun and play games, but it always worries me what the parents are thinking as obviously they are paying for me to be there! Also how do you get them speaking English? Any general tips?
Thanks

mesmark Sep 27th, 2006 05:41 pm

Re: One to one classes

There are a lot of things you can do. There are plenty of games that work well one-on-one but it really depends on what you want to do or what you want to work on.

Spelling?
Set phrases?
Target sentences?
Vocabulary?

For spelling, I like to stat with jumbles or visualized spelling (spelling and reading the word outloud without writing) and reading. You can also teach some phonics and read some simple sentences together.

For set phrases and conversational items, you need some activities or role plays. I like to construct things like a town to practice 'It goes here.' Or pretend to make dinner and sit down with some flashcards to eat. 'Could you pass me the ~?'

Target sentences - Bombs Away, Othello/Reversi, Jenga, concentration ... You just need to work the target language in to some existing game or make a variation of you own. It's best if the language is secondary to the game (English ability doesn't give you an advantage) since you'll be playing as well. It's even better if winning/losing is more a matter of luck.

I hope that gives you a little to work with.

Eric Sep 27th, 2006 10:46 pm

there is nothing wrong with using games in class, especially in 1 on 1 situations. just as long as your game is actually practicing something like vocab or grammar.

i know what you mean about thinking what the parents must be thinking. but if you are making English learning fun, there should be no problem.

as for games and activities, i agree with mark. pick a game that relies on luck and not skill.

use dice or rock scissors paper to decide points. play chance games like go fish or other card games. charades and pictionary can be very effective.

also, if you have access to a tape recorder you can do some fun things like have the student talk about a picture for 2 minutes, record what they say and then play it back and pick out the errors, or let them try to pick the errors.

along that same idea, try a recorded journal. have the student make a journal entry on a cassette tape and then check it next class. the parents will love this, too!

don't forget about reading. read each other a story. maybe you could read a paragraph and then the student reads a paragraph. this is a great way to practice listening and reading.

you dont have to play games the entire class either. i like to sandwich the "boring" stuff between the "fun" games and activities.

hope this helps a bit,
eric

Eric Sep 27th, 2006 10:51 pm

here's another thread about one on one classes.

simplyesl Sep 28th, 2006 01:18 am

The parents will think that you're amazing if their child is having fun and producing English. Don't worry about what the parents think, just have make sure the st is improving their English in a fun and productive environment!

g-cogle Sep 28th, 2006 05:53 am

Thanks for those great ideas everyone. I will try them out and let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!