eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 10th, 2014, 04:30 am
eslHQ Member

EddChipchase is on a distinguished road
Default One to one, possible behavioral issues

Hi all,
I'm currently working with a year 3 student who has been dropped back to year 2. He has some english, but not much. A lot of the time the problem is working out how to engage him in anything. He will often decide to go around disrupting the other members of the class, all of whom are very patient with him.
I don't have any experience with special needs or teaching english as a foreign language, but I'm the only one who has the time to work one to one with this boy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on effective reward and discipline systems that I can implement? Also, any games that I can use with him? I'm looking at the resources here, but we have limited internet here, and sometimes no power.
By here I mean Bujumbura in Burundi.

Thanks.
Unread Apr 11th, 2014, 10:24 pm
eslHQ Member

Elizabeth Keily is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One to one, possible behavioral issues

Find out what interests him. Work on his strengths to show him he can learn. A visual chat with pictures of his reward. Might be computer time or an ice cream. Involve his parents.
Unread May 7th, 2014, 12:13 am
eslHQ Member

EwelinaWroblewska is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One to one, possible behavioral issues

Hello ,
I am a mother of 3 sons (9,4 and 2) and I teach English to them a couple of times per week :-)
I use a book written by Shelley Vernon. (Fun One to One English Teaching Games For Parents and Private Tutors of ESL)
My middle son also has behavioral issues (he`s really touchy, jealous of other siblings and has concentration problems) . He enjoys some oh those games and having time with me.
The best idea is to visit Become Excited About Teaching English! | Teaching English Games , subscribe to get some games for free and see how this works for you.
I wish you patience and creativity.
I need it too ;-) all the time.