eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Is 'passive voice' okay in British English? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/passive-voice-okay-british-english-8419/)

EngliPatrick May 8th, 2008 01:26 am

Is 'passive voice' okay in British English?

I was talking to some of my non-American friends recently and they were telling me passive voice isn't frowned upon like it generally is in American English.

Is that true?

clivehawkins May 8th, 2008 02:35 am

Re: Is 'passive voice' okay in British English?

I didn't realize (or have never noticed) the passive was frowned upon in The States (I'm English). It's something I'd never considered, but thinking about it now I'm sure that we use the passive quite freely.

Out of curiosity, how would someone in America say 'These shoes were made in Italy', or 'This meat should be cooked on a low heat'. Can you give some examples?

mesmark May 8th, 2008 03:10 am

I don't think it's frowned upon in the States, at least not where I've lived. There may be times when the active form sounds better, it just depends on whether you want to express who did it (active) or what happened (pasive.) I know in textbook examples they are often forced. They try to get as many sentences in the target language as possible and therefore you end up with an unnatural string of sentences.

"This book was written in 1838."
"I was stung out in the field."
"My steak was overcooked."

These above could all be changed to active sentences but then the focal point would shift to the actor and not be placed on the action.

mesmark May 8th, 2008 03:13 am

Maybe you are talking about adding 'by ...' to the sentence?

I was kicked in English class. vs. I was kicked by Ken in English class.

in which case I'd say the second should be changed to the active formation, unless you are trying to delay the 'who done it' for emphasis.

EngliPatrick May 9th, 2008 05:14 am

When I mention passive voice is 'frowned on' in the U.S., I mean when I was writing papers and briefs in college, we were specifically told over and over again not to use passive voice if you have another option, granted, sometimes you have no choice. Also, I know it isn't God's grammar book, but Microsoft Word also catches passive voice and suggests you turn things into active voice.

I understand nerdy hellish smart scholars even argue about the use of this grammar point, but that is not the point of this post. I'm not trying to start an argument but rather honestly want to have a better sense of how passive voice is viewed in other countries. I know you can't speak for your entire country, so what are your own experiences with passive voice?

mesmark May 9th, 2008 05:14 pm

Patrick - I think it goes back to adding in 'by ...' When you do that, I'd agree that the active form sounds better.

What do BE members think about that?

"This book was written in 1838 by Mark."
"I was stung by a hornet out in the field ."
"My steak was overcooked by my mother."

jammer113 May 13th, 2008 10:53 pm

I don't think the passive voice is frowned upon in American English either. It's used all the time in conversational speech. In writing, it's also used, especially in certain scientific journals where the auther doesn't want to start every sentence with "I did... I started.. I caused..." but rather wants to focus on the experiment.

The problem is when students over-use or mis-use the passive voice. Teachers, in an attempt to stop this, tell students not to do it at all.

torg Jul 15th, 2008 07:37 am

Speaking as a college student. We were not allowed to use passive voice in our English 101/102 papers. Its frowned upon...at least in my school.

mesmark Jul 17th, 2008 03:55 am

Torg, are you British?