eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 08:13 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Post Preparing students for Presentations

I have a couple students/friends who are applying to be English Teachers for the Spanish government...ie Civil servants. The exams are really tough and they have worked hard all year studying etc.

Now they just have their oral exam next week and they are pretty worried about it.

it is 30 mins long and they have to cover about 10 sections of materials.

They are worried about transitioning from different topics, body language and presentation skills.

Does anyone have an advice to help them prepare?

Thanks so much.
Diana
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 10:15 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preparing students for Presentations

My big advice is to always roll-play the situation. If they don't know what the topics will be, give them two or three that you make up, and make them treat them like the 'real thing.'

The hardest thing about doing this, I've found, is that it's difficult to make them take the exercise seriously. I mean, my students will turn the roll play into an abstraction and say 'but in the real thing, I'd do it differently.' It's hard for me to get them to treat me--who they've come to see as a friend--as the test giver.

The other challenge is more for me: I have to stop worrying about vocabulary (because it's really too late to get into that, and because that's not what it's about) and to try and be critical of how they do with their body language and voice.

My biggest advice is this: find a copy of the criteria, ask your students if they know what the topics are, and then drill them.

Another thing: if they have to transition on their own, I'd give them one topic, make them find a completely different topic and say "Okay, how can you transition from 'electronics' to 'dairy production?')

Hope that helps!