eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   School or Language Company? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/school-language-company-12370/)

MelissaC May 2nd, 2009 06:11 am

School or Language Company?

Hello everyone!
Wanted to get your opinion on this question.
Is it better to work for a school or a language company?
Why is one better than the other? Is one easier to work for? Is it easier to get a job with a language company than a school?

STCrowley May 3rd, 2009 08:34 am

Re: School or Language Company?

I've never actually heard the term "Language Company" until you used it. I'd guess that where I work--Berlitz--counts as a Language Company, though we call ourselves a school. The reason I say that is that the emphasis is on making money, not on teaching. . . and if you're a 'purist,' that might bother you. (It bothers me sometimes, though I'm really a capitalist at heart.)

But, to teach at what I consider a 'real' school you normally need a degree. . . And I'm not willing to return to university for a few years to do a job that I'm basically doing already. (With the difference that, when your students are paying to learn, they're generally more motivated. . . I don't think you'd have that with public school students.)

So, my advice would be this: start at a company. From there you can transition to a community college (at least, you could if you lived in Germany) if you want to do something less commercial.
-Toby

English-coach May 5th, 2009 07:40 am

It is an interesting question. I have only worked for companies (Vaughan Systems and Pueblo Ingles). I agree with Toby, that these "companies" are money makers but they also "tend" to bring in more motivated students. I say "tend" because other companies will get classes for their employees and sometimes those employees have little or NO motivation to learn English at all. Some actually resent being sent to English classes.

Right now I have company experience and private classes. I believe that it you are motivated enough, doing private classes is great! Although you don't have a company to back you up or fill up your time table.

Great question!

MelissaC May 5th, 2009 12:19 pm

Great responses!
Toby, you're EXACTLY right! Berlitz, a company that I myself had worked over 5 years for, is exactly that, a company! Their main goal IS to make money, then help the students learn... that is, if there is still time.
Do you think you can make more working for Berlitz than for a school?
And I am RIGHT with you "English Coach," private classes are the BEST! No administration to deal with and the students actually want to be there.
Do you feel that you are making more privately than working with the companies?
Thanks for the responses!

teachingenglishmadeeasy May 5th, 2009 11:35 pm

Quote:

Quote MelissaC (Post 21523)
Hello everyone!
Wanted to get your opinion on this question.
Is it better to work for a school or a language company?
Why is one better than the other? Is one easier to work for? Is it easier to get a job with a language company than a school?

You know, I know a lot of people may disagree with the following opinion, but, I believe that there is little differentiation, these days, between schools (those not well off)and business in the US, at least. Schools are so quick to label students learning impaired so that the government gives the school money. Unfortunately, the school uses that money other things that are needed in the school. Sure, they don't "earn" money, but, they try to get as much as possible.

With that being said, A school will be closer to actual education while a company is just that, a company, and, they are there to make a profit.

Pick what you think is the lesser of two evils.

MelissaC May 16th, 2009 10:15 am

"Lesser of two evils."
I LOVE that!
You're right, in the US the line between the two are blurring because of money and funding issues. Kind of sad when you think about it...
Do you believe the same for those outside the us? Personal opinion is that the line is much more visible and that, as mentioned before, working for a school is FAR different than working for a company.
Great post eslHQ Enthusiast!