eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 29th, 2008, 07:13 pm
eslHQ Member

Leighanna is on a distinguished road
Question Something of a Problem Student

I have an elementary class. My one student is a very fast learner, while the other five students are generally on the same level. This fast learner is constantly trying to rush the class, which of course I don't allow and I always make sure to check if all of the other students have questions when she says she doesn't. She's on the same learning level and there's not other comparable class at the school I teach, so I'm stuck with her there.

My problem is though, that the class wants to play learning games. This would not normally be a problem, as all of my other classes enjoy the games and they are of levels and ages above and below this class. When the fast learner is not present for the class, the students enjoy the games we play. When she is present, she sabotages the games. If it is a competitive game, she takes out the competitive aspect. She doesn't follow the rules. She turns it into a normal exercise.

I didn't realize it until Monday, when I went to play a word game and I heard her say in her native language (oh, yeah, she refuses the English-only rule) that she wanted to play a trick and split up the vocabulary 50-50 and that the teams should just help each other. Then when she realized I heard her, she decided to just follow the rules. And wouldn't you know it, the class, including her, actually seemed to enjoy the game.

I've been trying to look through some non-competitive games, but I haven't found any that I think any of my students would find fun or interesting.

Any thoughts or ideas? Or has anyone had any similar experiences?
Unread May 30th, 2008, 04:39 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Something of a Problem Student

A problem indeed.
Someone once advised me to give the problem student a clearly defined assistant role during activities, eg in a vocab game she is the one who checks the others are following the rules, helps judge over any disputes etc. Giving them more responsibility often gets them over to your side.

I've tried it a couple of times and it really does seem to work. Give it a go before trying to change the type of activities in class. It seems a pity that the others can't do the things they enjoy because one element ruins it. Good luck!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:17 pm
eslHQ Member

ggourde is on a distinguished road

I agree with Clive. In similar situations I have put that student in the lead or referee role. Their ego gets satisfied while at the same time it does not damage the other kids' egos.
Unread Jun 13th, 2008, 01:51 am
eslHQ Member

rose_coloured is on a distinguished road

I haven't had an exactly comparable problem of one student sabotaging the games, but I certainly have some students who seem to be way ahead of the other students. What I have done is let them play the game and once the have won a couple of times at that game I get the to assist in some way as has been suggested. For instance if I am playing Simon Says they get to be the person who says "Simon says ...." instead of me. This gives the bright students more of a challenge while leveling the playing field in the game.