eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Songs in ESL class (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/songs-esl-class-11015/)

jellybeanenglisch Jan 7th, 2009 10:48 am

Songs in ESL class

I know music and songs are a great and fun way to teach grammar or vocabulary. But exactly HOW do you do it? Letting the students listen to a song without knowing or understanding much of the lyrics is frustrating. I want to use a song in my advanced conversation class (adults). I don´t want to just hand out the lyrics and let them read while listening, so what do I do?

Tanialoves Jan 8th, 2009 06:04 am

Re: Songs in ESL class

Hi,
This is what I do:

1) At first I play a song without explaining any vocabulary or grammar constructions. I just let students listen to it and then I ask them some general questions (What is the song about? What happened? What is going to happen) or I ask them to tell me any words/phrases/sentences which they remember/were able to understand.

Or... I mention the topic of a song and ask the students to tell me the words/phrases that may be used in this context. We make up a list of such words and while listening the students have to tick off the units used in a song.

2) Then I introduce the words that may be unknown for them. To practice these words I prapare a "fill-in" exercise.

3) After that I ask some questions that may provoke discussion (Do you agree...? What would you do if...?)

I hope it will help :)

mesmark Jan 11th, 2009 11:24 pm

There's a pretty good podcast about using songs in class.
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » Using Music in the Classroom

There are a lot of ideas and ideas for different age groups.

emile Jan 13th, 2009 04:11 am

I like to use a song that has a story to it. For example, 'Stan' by Eminem is the story of a deranged fan that commits suicide (not for kids obviously). 'Last Kiss' by Pearl Jam is the story of a guy whose girlfriend died in his arms after a road accident. He only discovered his love for her as he kissed her goodbye.

liluka Jan 13th, 2009 06:10 am

I usually write the lyrics on the blackboard , sing it once twice the without the cd-player and then put the cd to listen to it and then we can sing it together again without cdplayer.This goes fine.

mesmark Jan 14th, 2009 06:16 am

Quote:

Quote emile (Post 19454)
I like to use a song that has a story to it.

Almost all country songs have a story that progresses. They work really well.

jellybeanenglisch Jan 25th, 2009 08:25 am

Thank you all for the great tips!!!!!
I used the ABC song in a one-on-one adult (!) class to practice spelling and the student absolutely loved it.

ICAL_Pete Jan 30th, 2009 07:14 am

You may be also interested in these ICALwiki articles.

Karaoke in the Classroom

Songs in the Classroom

jellybeanenglisch Jan 30th, 2009 07:52 am

Thank you Pete for those links!!!

ICAL_Pete Jan 30th, 2009 08:16 am

Cheers! I particularly like the Karaoke activity. It gets students of all ages going!

mesmark Jan 30th, 2009 06:14 pm

Here are two sites with free songs and some with activities and supporting materials
Free ABC Songs: Your favorite kids song mp3 downloads for free, lyrics, and sheet music
Dream English Kids Songs, free mp3 song downloads,flashcards and lesson ideas,let's sing!