eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   students who don't want to be there (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/students-who-dont-want-there-15760/)

FondueUSA Mar 24th, 2010 10:59 pm

students who don't want to be there

I have 2 high school age students I teach every week that are often difficult to teach. They seem to have an attitude saying I don't want to be there. Whenever I try to teach them something it looks like they are bored. Whenever I use games they don't want to participate. Whenever I do conversation they don't talk. Any ideas on how to spice up the class to make it fun and educational?

thanks

clevermae Mar 25th, 2010 03:20 am

Re: students who don't want to be there

I am wondering why these 2 students are in your class in the first place when they don't seem interested to learn.

bread_baker Mar 25th, 2010 04:09 pm

Why are they there? Is this (tutoring? class?) required by the school? Did their parents send them?

FondueUSA Mar 25th, 2010 07:50 pm

That is a good question, I believe their parents send them there.

bread_baker Mar 26th, 2010 04:16 pm

Try looking at this thread:
Discussion topics for high school class?

Dave-B Mar 28th, 2010 09:52 pm

What about trying to find out what interests them, and using that to your advantage.

Perhaps the usual food, movies, sports conversations aren't working because they have done that all before.

Find some topics they are truly interested in and it might go better.

Try and show them how your lessons will directly help them in their lives. This could be to get better grades, to advance toward a career goal, or whatever.

Lastly, what about focusing them on a larger task that they may get motivated to complete. I am having success with my high school students right now with an activity that has us building websites. They chose their own topics and are enjoying posting, formatting, and creating.

Good luck!

mesmark Mar 29th, 2010 07:55 pm

Quote:

Quote bread_baker (Post 26850)
Try looking at this thread:
Discussion topics for high school class?

http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-foru...l-class-15690/

mesmark Mar 29th, 2010 08:01 pm

Quote:

Quote FondueUSA (Post 26813)
I have 2 high school age students I teach every week that are often difficult to teach. ... it looks like they are bored. ... they don't want to participate. ... they don't talk. Any ideas on how to spice up the class to make it fun and educational?

I imagine you need to go at this from a new angle. It might be good to talk with them and find out why they are there, what it is they'd like to do, are they like this all the time or just in English class. Maybe the content is too difficult for them, maybe it's too easy. If you have the chance try to talk to some other teachers that teach them.

They might be more interested in worksheets and grammar lessons to build their confidence. It's really hard to say. So, my advice would be try to get a clearer picture of the problem.

kellytrainer Mar 31st, 2010 04:30 pm

How long is the lesson? Sometimes this happens with long lessons and small groups or individuals. I teach English in Italy, and I have had this happen with a few students. Usually, they are tired or "burnt-out" on studying as they have so many extracurricular activities. Try to do a quick survey about their interests in written form- "disguise" it as a job application, where they have to list their strengths, weaknesses, hobbies and commitments and ideal working environment. It should give you some clues to their personalities and interests. You can build a lot on a student's profile.

LSophie Apr 5th, 2010 05:54 am

Hi,
I hope this response will get through.

I suggest you get to know the students. Get to know their language learning background -- How did their teachers in the past teach them? Do they just listen and answer exercises on paper and do not talk in class? Get to know their anxieties -- perhaps they got embarrassed when trying to talk or participate in classroom activities. Get to know the reason why they are in the class, their goals and interests. And finally, get their trust to teach them.

asley2010 Apr 26th, 2010 11:03 pm

i also agree with the point that may be their parents force them to attend this class.So they try to annoy you so that u'll be impatient to teach them!