eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 24th, 2010, 10:59 pm
eslHQ Member

FondueUSA is on a distinguished road
Default students who don't want to be there

I have 2 high school age students I teach every week that are often difficult to teach. They seem to have an attitude saying I don't want to be there. Whenever I try to teach them something it looks like they are bored. Whenever I use games they don't want to participate. Whenever I do conversation they don't talk. Any ideas on how to spice up the class to make it fun and educational?

thanks
Unread Mar 25th, 2010, 03:20 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road
Default Re: students who don't want to be there

I am wondering why these 2 students are in your class in the first place when they don't seem interested to learn.
Unread Mar 25th, 2010, 04:09 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

Why are they there? Is this (tutoring? class?) required by the school? Did their parents send them?
Unread Mar 25th, 2010, 07:50 pm
eslHQ Member

FondueUSA is on a distinguished road

That is a good question, I believe their parents send them there.
Unread Mar 26th, 2010, 04:16 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

Try looking at this thread:
Discussion topics for high school class?
Unread Mar 28th, 2010, 09:52 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road

What about trying to find out what interests them, and using that to your advantage.

Perhaps the usual food, movies, sports conversations aren't working because they have done that all before.

Find some topics they are truly interested in and it might go better.

Try and show them how your lessons will directly help them in their lives. This could be to get better grades, to advance toward a career goal, or whatever.

Lastly, what about focusing them on a larger task that they may get motivated to complete. I am having success with my high school students right now with an activity that has us building websites. They chose their own topics and are enjoying posting, formatting, and creating.

Good luck!
Unread Mar 29th, 2010, 07:55 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote bread_baker View Post
Try looking at this thread:
Unread Mar 29th, 2010, 08:01 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote FondueUSA View Post
I have 2 high school age students I teach every week that are often difficult to teach. ... it looks like they are bored. ... they don't want to participate. ... they don't talk. Any ideas on how to spice up the class to make it fun and educational?
I imagine you need to go at this from a new angle. It might be good to talk with them and find out why they are there, what it is they'd like to do, are they like this all the time or just in English class. Maybe the content is too difficult for them, maybe it's too easy. If you have the chance try to talk to some other teachers that teach them.

They might be more interested in worksheets and grammar lessons to build their confidence. It's really hard to say. So, my advice would be try to get a clearer picture of the problem.
Unread Mar 31st, 2010, 04:30 pm
I Teach English in Italy

kellytrainer is on a distinguished road

How long is the lesson? Sometimes this happens with long lessons and small groups or individuals. I teach English in Italy, and I have had this happen with a few students. Usually, they are tired or "burnt-out" on studying as they have so many extracurricular activities. Try to do a quick survey about their interests in written form- "disguise" it as a job application, where they have to list their strengths, weaknesses, hobbies and commitments and ideal working environment. It should give you some clues to their personalities and interests. You can build a lot on a student's profile.
Unread Apr 5th, 2010, 05:54 am
eslHQ Member

LSophie is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I hope this response will get through.

I suggest you get to know the students. Get to know their language learning background -- How did their teachers in the past teach them? Do they just listen and answer exercises on paper and do not talk in class? Get to know their anxieties -- perhaps they got embarrassed when trying to talk or participate in classroom activities. Get to know the reason why they are in the class, their goals and interests. And finally, get their trust to teach them.
Unread Apr 26th, 2010, 11:03 pm
eslHQ Member

asley2010 is on a distinguished road

i also agree with the point that may be their parents force them to attend this class.So they try to annoy you so that u'll be impatient to teach them!