eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:34 am
eslHQ Member

destinyawaits is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching Advanced Students

I'm looking for tips on teaching advanced level adults. I have a couple of advanced classes for 4 hours a week. I obviously use a lot of newspaper/current affairs material as well as comedy scripts and sketches I find on You Tube. The classes are in-company and all the students are working hard and under pressure so the classes have to be interesting and entertaining. Sometimes the preparation takes a long time because I have to keep it fresh.

How do you teach advanced students? Apart from reading and listening are there any activities you can suggest for adults who in reality can already speak English?
Unread Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:20 pm
eslHQ Member

sheeep is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching Advanced Students

I will be teaching advanced student myself, in less than two weeks' time from observations, I found that there are activities that can be used in all levels such as matching game in pair- or groupwork is not uncommon;another one is a more kinesthetic game where students go around the room looking for a match from the post-its stuck on their backs - not only would this wake them up, it would also encourage speaking esp if the target language is set.
Unread Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:20 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road

Well, what type of company is it? Perhaps you need a lot more business English type activities.

Often the traditional ESL activities you find on the Internet are geared towards beginners and intermediates, and usually for kids.

What other details do you have about your students?
Unread Feb 7th, 2011, 06:02 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

My games book for teens and adults has many advanced activities, for example this is one of them:

Persuasion - speaking activity

There are more free samples you may receive by email from my site, you are welcome.

Kind regards
Shelley

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 09:17 am.
Unread Feb 7th, 2011, 10:10 am
eslHQ Member

jakda is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about getting an advanced course book? I always try and use course books in advanced company lessons. Although it's only used for about half the lesson time, I use it as a base and build my lessons around that. The listenings introduce them to different accents and voices while the grammar is usually exactly what they need.