eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 8th, 2009, 10:14 pm
eslHQ Member

Yawnpill has disabled reputation
Default Applying for the CELTA

Hello.

I'm currently applying to attend the CELTA course in Seoul at the British Council. I've completed most of the pre-task, which is due in a little over a week or so along with my application. I have a couple of questions.

First, I'd say that I've answered the pre-task questions thoroughly. Each answer is rather long and goes into some detail, though I don't think anything is simply repetitive. I really wanted to explore as many angles for each question as I could, as well as explain my teaching ideas in detail. Is this a problem? Do they expect or want length in the answers? I'm sure they want insight, accuracy and ideas more than length, which I think I've given them. But I didn't feel I could really give those things without explaining for a few paragraphs. I also wanted to make certain that they knew I understood the grammar involved.

The second question I have is, how competitive is it? Is every CELTA center different? If anyone knows about Seoul's British Council, I'd be nice to hear your take on how hard it is to get into the program.

I've worked for the public schools here for a year and two months, but I've also run adult classes for the teachers. I feel that I've learned quite a bit on my own in that time about teaching EFL. However, I think I am ready for some structured training. As well, I want the CELTA certification as a boon for my resume and future job prospects.

If anyone has answers for the two questions above, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Unread Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:37 am
eslHQ Member

Yawnpill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Applying for the CELTA

Hello. I suppose no one had any ready answers for the above post. But let me ask another... If you've taken the course, or applied to it, how long does it take from the time you submit your application for the organization to give you a ring back and let you know if you're up for an interview or not?

Thanks for any help.