eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 1st, 2011, 02:11 pm
eslHQ Member

jkalathas is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching englosh for a 7yr old??

Im teaching a 7yr kid english for the first time...this is his second language and his parents want to prepare him for a private eng.school in 8 months.I spend 8hrs a day 5days a week.Pls any tips on how to help him with eng.how many hrs a day and all advise i will appreciate...in 2 weeks he learned abc and some flash cards well..what else can do with him,thanxs
Unread Mar 3rd, 2011, 04:09 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching englosh for a 7yr old??

You work with him privately for 40 hours per week?

Is he not in school?
Unread Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:47 pm
eslHQ Member

jkalathas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching englosh for a 7yr old??

he doesnt go to school.so i spend 40hrs per week.any advice on what subjects and how much time is ok for eng.for a kid his age?
Unread Mar 4th, 2011, 01:54 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching english for a 7yr old??

Well, with 40 hours you have a lot of planning to do. You essentially need a complete curriculum.

However, here are some ideas to get you started.

At that age, you really want to create a love of English, especially reading.

I would find some kids books in English, and preferably let him choose the ones you use. You can create a number of activities from the kids books.

I would also focus mainly on vocabulary. As you can imagine, colours, numbers, animals, food, are all be good topics as are many more.

You also may want to think about different subject he will take in school and get him thinking about them in English.

Its a private class, so the topics and subjects should come from the student. Find the things he likes and use them as much as possible. If you have to teach a whole unit on soccer, so be it.

At that age, it's really about creating that love of English and the enjoyment of learning.

Find the Best TEFL, TESL, TESOL & CELTA Certification Courses - User Submitted Ratings & Reviews for Online, Distance & Abroad TEFL Courses. Over 3,500 reviews of 100+ TEFL schools!

Teach English in Thailand - Onsite and Combined TEFL certification courses in Phuket, Thailand.

Free ESL Flashcards