eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Teaching present continuous (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/teaching-present-continuous-6160/)

natucita Oct 14th, 2007 12:15 pm

Teaching present continuous

Hello! I need help with a lesson plan... i want to start my class showing pictures of different famous sportmen, and then saying my students "he/she is playing basketball" (for example) and then asking "what is he/she doing" and they are going to answer what i said before, then i'm going to write the formula on the board and give activities to practice... is this a good way to introduce them to the present continuous? what do you recommend?

natucita Oct 14th, 2007 04:18 pm

Re: Teaching present continuous

hello? help please!

mesmark Oct 14th, 2007 05:02 pm

That sounds good to me.

You might want to have more verbs other than 'playing' like 'swimming' and 'skiing.'

Are you going to have the students practice orally on their own prior to grammar explanation or your worksheet?

Where are you teaching? How big is your class? What age?

natucita Oct 14th, 2007 05:32 pm

Then, i'm going to have my students practise on a worksheet... but i haven't made my mind yet... i'd like to give them a reading and then an activity which could be "fill in the gaps"... but i didn't find any source where i could take a good reading from.... the reading has to be related to the topic (sports, health maybe).

I'm teaching at a state school in Argentina... The class is big, around 27 students and they are 12 years old...

thanks for answering :)

natucita Oct 14th, 2007 09:48 pm

dont u think they will get lost when apply sports that collocates with go in the present continuous?

mesmark Oct 15th, 2007 07:48 am

You posted this on another forum and I answered it there

natucita Oct 15th, 2007 11:13 am

thank you :P

crisholm Oct 15th, 2007 02:56 pm

I suggest that, if you have access to a classroom projector (or just a laptop that can be turned round to show the class), you make a powerpoint with all their favourite sports stars - other celebrities could also be included, such as pop stars or film stars not just in their usual activities, but doing other things as well. The Internet is a great source for images - you could try Google images or sports/cinema/gossip magazines to get the images.
The PPT could be helpful in making them realize the form of the verb as well making it appear slowly- you could make a multiple choice quiz with sounds (there are ready-made templates, but it is not difficult to make one yourself with cheers for correct answers and boos for wrong ones).
After this, you could make a worksheet with the same images.
In case you don't want to go into all this trouble, I suggest you look into a wonderful website with great pictures, worksheets, flashcards and everything you could dream of, www.mes-english.com, which will help you out with the images and everything. Just one thing: don't forget to stress the time expressions and the fact that the action is taking place NOW (as suggested in the visuals).
Happy teaching, as they say!
(I miss my Chilean friends.My best regards!)
crisholm:)