eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Teaching pronunciation and improving listening skills (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/teaching-pronunciation-improving-listening-skills-60716/)

LouannePiccolo Feb 17th, 2013 03:04 pm

Teaching pronunciation and improving listening skills

Hello everyone,

I'm teaching an intermediate level student at the moment who is able to speak, read and write at an intermediate level but who has problems understanding spoken English. I know that we need to work on her pronunciation to improve her listening skills but am having a bit of trouble finding exercises for her to do.
Does anyone know of a course book that is helpful for linking, devoicing, flapping, elision etc...? I have found Cambridge's English Pronunciation in Use with CDs on Amazon but I would be grateful for any other ideas or information. I have not yet bought the Cambridge book and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used it before.

Thanks!
Louanne

Beepdabop Jun 4th, 2013 12:42 am

Re: Teaching pronunciation and improving listening skills

Adapted with permission from You Can Teach: You Can Teach TESOL and Recruitment in China : Home

Hi Louanne,

Here are a few activities that might help them improve their listening skills:

Correct the teacher - This can be done with any piece of language. Basically you say a sentence, read a word, read a passage, and the student must sit and listen for a mistake, at which time they stop you (politely of course), then tell you what you said, and what you should have said. It is important that they tell you both what you said and what you should have said to make sure they are paying close attention. Make it more interesting for your student by teaching them a few polite ways - or impolite depending on their age, and your relationship with them - to tell people they made a mistake. "Teacher, that was good, but it is actually .........." "Teacher, you're an idiot! It's not ..........., it's .............."

What Was That? - A very simple game, but one that my students have all enjoyed very much. Basically you read out a sentence/passage a little faster than the student is comfortable with. They must then try to tell you what you said using their memory and notes they took. This really helps students in their ability to listen for key words to understand the meaning, rather than trying to understand every single one.

Listen and Do -
Basically you tell the student they need to listen out for a key word. When they hear the word they need to do something (an action, say a word etc.). Then, just as in the example above, you speak at a pace above their comfort zone. When they hear the word(s), they need to act.

Hope these help!