eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 3rd, 2012, 06:42 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

excellency is on a distinguished road
Default teaching teens

hi everyone,I've been teaching some girls aged 13 to 16.my problem is how to deal with them in teaching,i explain the lessons very completely, i give them some pair work, we play some games, but it seems they're not interested at all.most of the time they look at their watches and want to get out of the class.i really don't know what to do to have their attention and interest to the lessons?can anyone help me?thanks a million.
Unread May 5th, 2012, 08:43 am
eslHQ Member

clouthier is on a distinguished road
Default Re: teaching teens

Hi, First all tell them not to wear a watch (sorry for that).
When you teach them, every lesson should like a story. Like you are teaching math. Teach them math with a story. They like to listen story, play games.you could try this technique.
Unread May 18th, 2012, 08:34 am
Teacher Trainer

LouannePiccolo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: teaching teens

Hi there!

Teaching teens can be a toughie because of the developmental stages they are going through. They are insecure and often seem blasé but there are ways to get through to them. Teens don't like to be treated like children, they don't like to feel silly around their peers and they love to have their say.
Why not try and involve them in the decision process? Give them a choice in what is being planned for their lessons. Here is a link to an article I wrote on Teaching Teens

I used to quiver in my shoes when I had a teen class until I did a lot of research and applied what I learnt to their classes. It's all in the article. But, if you don't have the time to read it then try and apply the following: use music, group work, role-playing, tap into what they are interested in (ask them!), use games adapted to their age and keep the pace quick and varied.

Hope this helps!
Louanne