eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 26th, 2007, 07:52 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Question Diversity in English

50 years from now, will there be more diversity, or less diversity, in English? ...and in language in general?
Unread May 6th, 2007, 01:25 am
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Diversity in English

I'd say more in English, in terms of local variations. At the same time, though, I imagine there will be a pretty standard "international English". But, unfortunately, a lot less diversity in terms of the number of languages in the world.

My 2 cents.
Dave
Unread May 6th, 2007, 07:43 pm
Sifu

That's the paradox that I'm interested in. An international English, but more variation at the local level. You'd wonder if over time, the International English would win out.
Unread May 10th, 2007, 01:29 am
EFL Teacher

I guess what I'm saying is that just because there is a lingua franca (international English) that doesn't mean that local varieties will disappear. Looking at China, there is a definite dominant dialect (Mandarin) but tons and tons of local variations, many of which are mutually unintelligible. I imagine things could end up the same way with English.
Unread May 10th, 2007, 07:42 pm
Sifu

Quote:
Looking at China, there is a definite dominant dialect (Mandarin) but tons and tons of local variations, many of which are mutually unintelligible
But I wonder if there are less variations than, say, 100 years ago? I dug this up after a quick google search:

Ethnic Miao tongue in danger of dying out in south China
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../01/2003321348

I reckon you could identify trends that would be similar in English.
Unread May 12th, 2007, 01:47 am
EFL Teacher

I'm certainly no expert on Chinese dialects, but I'd agree that there are probably a lot fewer now (with improved communication / transportation).

I guess I still expect to see an increase in the varieties of English, only because it's still relatively new in a lot of places. Maybe you're right, though, that as time goes on, those local varieties would collapse.
Unread May 13th, 2007, 09:26 pm
eslHQ Member

kpan217 is on a distinguished road

I think the issue with the Miao language is a different story. As far as I'm aware, it's an entirely different language that survived in the pocket of Miao communities as Han culture closed in around them. Whereas ethnic languages and dialects are used by a specific cultural group, local dialects seem to depend more on region than anything. A child is born and grows up speaking the way their parents speak and the way the people at the mall speak and the way their classmates speak. I guess what I'm saying is that non-Miao people wouldn't speak Miao unless they studied it specifically, but for people to speak a local dialect, they just have to live in a certain area. That's not to say that local dialects aren't also fading, but just that I wouldn't necessarily consider those cases to be equal.

Anyways, that may or may not be correct in any way. I tend to think that English will continue to diversify. Even in the States, variations are kind of a cultural distinction that local communities are proud of. I remember sitting around my freshman year of college comparing different pronunciations and diction that everyone had coming from the west coast, northeast, midwest, and south. That's not including the differences between American, Canadian, British, and so on. And everyone was really proud of their own way of saying things.

Even families have their own little idioms that they toss around each other. As long as there's a community with members that talk amongst themselves, there will be diversity at least in accent or terminology.

Bleeeh, sorry, I'm not good at making posts like this! ^_^
Unread May 13th, 2007, 11:29 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

I was listening to a Leonard Lopate podcast (Thanks, Eric!) on dialects. Experts actually say that improved communication and technology hasn't lessened the number of different dialects, nor does it look like the number will be hindered much in the future. Pretty much the opposite of what one would expect (or at least, what I expected).

Technology has affected very isolated dialects, but only to some extent. In particular, some words no longer used in daily life have disappeared, as technology shapes every day life. For example, we don't churn butter, or chop wood, or live on farms much, so the varied words linked with these tasks have lessened.

Here's the link: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/epi...9#segment72255
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread May 14th, 2007, 07:54 pm
Sifu

Quote:
As long as there's a community with members that talk amongst themselves, there will be diversity at least in accent or terminology.
That's the point I want to pick up on. Because of technology and other factors, such as ease of travel, there will come a time when we interact more with people outside of our (physical) community than we do with those inside. In that case, regional dialects will begin to become less important to our lives.

A major factor will be when voice is used more widely for our forums and such.
Unread May 19th, 2007, 11:34 pm
EFL Teacher

Quote:
Quote emile
A major factor will be when voice is used more widely for our forums and such.
Interesting point. I wonder if voice will ever replace text as the primarily means of communication via the internet. Even if it doesn't, it will undoubtedly become more widely used than it is now. Perhaps there will be a spoken NetEnglish, much like there are all sorts of acronyms and slang words that are used exclusively in chat rooms and text messages.

I hadn't been thinking of this conversation in terms of how changing technology would increase the prevalence of internet voice communication. Hmm...

Dave
Unread May 20th, 2007, 07:57 pm
Sifu

...of course by that time, we English teachers will probably have been replaced by robots
Unread May 24th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road

Sounds right. Globalization, for worse and for better, requires greater standardization of communication tools. Since language - any language - primarily remains an adaptive tool to express feelings, share ideas, and develop concepts, increased contact and trade will mandate a more universal language.
As the cliche goes, besides money, English is the world's most important language.
Unread May 24th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps, but many other professions will be far easier to replace.

Humans will have to do something.