eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 30th, 2008, 05:02 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default semi-literate students

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever taught adult students who weren't literate or were semi-literate in their native language? I've read a few articles, but haven't actually experienced the problems a situation like this would pose. We have one low student like this in our schools. We also have several students who are literate in Japanese, but completely unable to read or write Roman characters.

Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help.

Thank you!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Oct 31st, 2008, 06:00 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: semi-literate students

well, honestly, I don't see such a big problem here. So, you have to teach your students the alphabet? Do it the same way you would teach it to kids, just adjust it a little bit so that it makes it fit for adults. Use more "serious" things to describe each letter, teach them the alphabet by heart etc. It consumes a big amount of time, but you have to do it.

When you finish they will know English better than their own language.
Unread Oct 31st, 2008, 07:50 pm
eslHQ Zealot

crisholm is on a distinguished road

There are some published materials for 'newcomers' (immigrants) - see Burlington Books. The idea is getting them to build up their vocabulary in basic areas - so you can adapt any picture dictionary and make them translate to their mother language to check understanding. Powerpoints are also very useful (check mes-english for basic vocabulary in many fields; they've also got worksheets to go with the flashcards or powerpoints; it's a wonderful site). Repetition and visual input will grant acquisition of language.
As for grammar and structures, they should follow a starter course - there are many materials in teachers' blogs. Of course, personal tuition is crucial at these levels - they aren't autonomous at all and are apt to get lost. Anyway, they can work on learning materials on the web, such as http://www.agendaweb.org/
or Curso de Ingles Gratis OM Personal, Aprender Ingles Gratis por internet, Lecciones de Ingles, ingles gratuito multimedia
They should also have clear objectives as to what they are expected to do at the end of the couse.
You can reinforce the visual input if the written one is not too sound - written language can come as a round-up of what they've done in class.
I hope this helps...
Unread Oct 31st, 2008, 07:56 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi Chris. As I was answering the post I did not realise it was you - honestly I can't believe you are having these doubts - no newborn puppy!
Just trying to keep the forum alive?
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 04:19 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote crisholm View Post
Hi Chris. As I was answering the post I did not realise it was you - honestly I can't believe you are having these doubts - no newborn puppy!
Just trying to keep the forum alive?
LOL. I've read some resources, and have my own ideas. But I actually haven't taught anyone like this.

A lot of English teachers in Japan heavily rely on the fact that years and years of English in the public school system will produce adults with decent reading and writing skills. It's rare that teachers have to work with adults from the very beginning of their studies.

I include myself here, as I walk into the class and am very aware of the mistakes and difficulties students will most likely have. A student entering the class with an inability to read would definitely throw a wrench into the works.

The student in question is at one of my company's schools, and the teachers are struggling to incorporate him into the system. I've given a few ideas, resources, and handouts, but it's always good to get information from firsthand experience.

So far the ideas have definitely helped. Thank you!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 04:40 am
eslHQ Zealot

I see what you mean, because we all rely mostly on written input for our handouts. The same happens when we have a case of dyslexia or other learning disabilities (which may indeed be the case here). You could try the same approach - the trouble is most SEN materials are for kids, and an adult would feel awkward using them; besides, they have different needs.
Good luck!
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 03:05 pm
eslHQ Addict

Quote:
Quote crisholm View Post
an adult would feel awkward using them; besides, they have different needs.
!
How do adults have different needs from children?
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 08:41 pm
eslHQ Zealot

(I started to answer in good faith, but I'm really not sure about the question that's being asked - it does seem to be rather obvious!)
Well, for a start, they do not feel comfortable getting bunnies and teddy bears on their worksheets. They have grown out of that stage and even though they have learning difficulties, they feel they deserve the attention they need at their level, at their stage. A child flows along with mainstream education (which I personally think - but this is very personal, I admit- is based on their immaturity), while an adult who has not attained basic standards is conscious of his/her shortcomings and obviously does not like them being brought forth - they have learnt to manage. In a way, you have got to find the cleft through which you can preserve their battered self-image while you give them the break. Difficult, I admit. But possible if you show them you are willing to help.
Finally: a child's academic success is measured in terms of conforming to his/her class; an adult has to find success in the outer world. Any similarities?
(Beatrix, you are really a zealot!)

Last edited by crisholm : Nov 1st, 2008 at 08:43 pm. Reason: Afterthoughts
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 09:14 pm
eslHQ Addict

not so!I think teaching adults should be easier, because of all the things you outlined. besides, I don't think that learning a completely new alphabet is humiliating, for example, I wouldn't feel bad about learning the Chinese alphabet, rather proud!
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 11:05 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Chris - There's a lot of research that suggests problems with L1 literacy provide greater problems with L2. It's often recommended, with children, to have the family support L1 literacy at home if say the child has immigrated to an English speaking country.

I think the same could be applied to adults learning a second language. That student(s) might need to seek litteracy assistance for Japanese as well as attend English lessons.

Aside:
I have a student who is almost incomprehensible (for me) in L1 due to his language usage and what appears to be a trend in him to leave all thoughts unfinished. He also explains things with single words instead of articulating them with full(er) thoughts. Those traits prove devastating to his English (low context language) performance.

His reading and writing are fine in both languages though ...