eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:16 am
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road
Default Things that bother you about work...

are what?

I really don't like that fact that in South Korea, everything is done last minute. Getting books, schedules, whatever you can think of is done last minute. It really ruffles my feathers seeing as how I am not a last-minute kind of person.

arghhhh.

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com
Unread Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:59 pm
eslHQ Member

Mikepass is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that bother you about work...

Ah, the words were but stolen from my mouth. It has always been my, and the other teachers in my area, main complaint. The problem is Korean's do not know how to say no. If someone, especially of higher status, asks them to do something now, they do it with no questions asked. There is no need to provide notice as the expectation is that task will be completed anyway.

Me, I just say that I will do it when I get to it as I have other tasks of higher priority. My stock line is "If you want me to have something done by today or tomorrow, tell me about it last week." This was usually met with complete disbelief. Now it is just accepted. That said, if I can do the task quickly I will.

My co-teacher did laugh at your comment though, as she completely agrees. Today, we've had a problem where the wrong test papers were printed because:
A. Everything was done at last minute because of security concerns (Elementary school); bring in the CIA.
B. No one actually second checked the paper before printing it.

So my main gripes are: everything is done at last minute, nothing is second checked, and everyone just says yes, no matter how silly the request.
Unread Jun 24th, 2009, 11:09 pm
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Mikepass View Post
Ah, the words were but stolen from my mouth. It has always been my, and the other teachers in my area, main complaint. The problem is Korean's do not know how to say no. If someone, especially of higher status, asks them to do something now, they do it with no questions asked. There is no need to provide notice as the expectation is that task will be completed anyway.

Me, I just say that I will do it when I get to it as I have other tasks of higher priority. My stock line is "If you want me to have something done by today or tomorrow, tell me about it last week." This was usually met with complete disbelief. Now it is just accepted. That said, if I can do the task quickly I will.

My co-teacher did laugh at your comment though, as she completely agrees. Today, we've had a problem where the wrong test papers were printed because:
A. Everything was done at last minute because of security concerns (Elementary school); bring in the CIA.
B. No one actually second checked the paper before printing it.

So my main gripes are: everything is done at last minute, nothing is second checked, and everyone just says yes, no matter how silly the request.

Yeah. After being here almost 5 years, it still bothers me. I completely understand it is part of the culture, but it's hard (at least for me) to put my best foot forward when given 12 hours to create a 3-class lesson plan. Man. I understand work should come first in this culture, but, I do believe that people should have the right, without feeling pressured by the powers that be, to do what they had planned on doing during their time off without having to feel guilty about not doing what their boss asks them to do RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

Oh well. Ultimately, I just roll with it. What can one do, you know? When in Rome...

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 08:10 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

In Spain everything seems to be a process...getting paperworks filled out, stamped, signed and all organized...by three different people and different offices. It is crasy. Everything is a process here. I love Spain...but sometimes I want to pull my hair out!
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 07:09 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Where do I begin?!

Seriously... where do I begin?!

I don't like having to balance education with business, even though I know it's a must. Some choices or ideas which would benefit students from an educational point of view just aren't practical to implement from a business point of view.

This bothers me because I can't do what I know/feel would be of the greatest help sometimes. It's a balancing act, I suppose.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 10:26 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road

I'm with Chris:

I dislike the 'business and education' balance. And I dislike being freelance. . . we're in the 'summer hole' in Germany and that means less money.

I could complain about the German working culture, but I don't think the U.S. would be that much different. At least, not in a large organization ("As long as the paperwork is filled out.") But, if I had to list just ONE complaint it'd be that (many, but not all) students assume that--because they're paying for a 'service'--that English will be pumped into their heads if they just sit at the 'pump' long enough. I'm game to be crazy and motivational. . . but they could meet me halfway, right?

-Toby