eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 20th, 2005, 08:24 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone teaching/taught in China?

I am wondering what the teaching conditions (hours, salary, etc...) are like in rural and/or urban China. Are contracts honored pretty well. Is the money good for China. How about for sending home? What is the private tutoring scene like? legal? profitable?
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 02:19 am
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Oreamnos
I am wondering what the teaching conditions (hours, salary, etc...) are like in rural and/or urban China. Are contracts honored pretty well. Is the money good for China. How about for sending home? What is the private tutoring scene like? legal? profitable?
All this kind of information can be found in Daves esl elscafe.com
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 03:09 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote fishead soup
All this kind of information can be found in Daves esl
This site is an alternative to daves. I know that info is available at his site. i am seeking to build eslHQ with quality information regarding things related to the teaching of esl and efl. that way there will be more than one place to go when you want information or information from more than one source.

Last edited by Eric : Apr 25th, 2005 at 03:17 am.
Unread Apr 19th, 2006, 08:47 pm
eslHQ Member

mingmong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone teaching/taught in China?

hey Eric, fishead soup is correct in that much info is on dave's - but moslty of the slagging off variety. i've bn here 1 year and 10 months and from what i can tell it's a bit hit and miss here. i recommend anyone coming do some research (i know that sounds obvious, but many don't!). i've worked for two different schools of the same franchise chain and come out of it pretty much unscathed. i also know some others who have bn screwed. chinese business practice is a different ball game, and anger and raised voiced don't help. i learnt the hard way (just a little temper issue). howerver i am surprised at the expectations of many foreighners who come - especially the expectation that life should be easy for them here, and they shouldn't have to work a 40 hour week to earn triple the average local wage. you can earn ok money in a private school, or usually a bit less in a uni - with less hours. i like the private situation because i like to teach kids, and am about to start full time study here so the timing suits.

if u work full time in a private u should get 5 -6k RMB to start teaching anywhere up to 25 hours. depending on where u live u should be able to get some tutoring work- haven't done it myself but i hear around 100 - 150 / hour is a start (again depending on location).

for china the money is good, the two people in my house live well on about 1500 a month so we can save quite a bit.

i really like living here - it's frustrating and difficult at times but i get more out of it every day.
hope this is helpful
have a great day.

PS really like your site.