eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 28th, 2006, 09:50 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Tutoring

I have recently started my masters in TEFL and finished my full time elementary job so that I would have more time to study. So I have decided to focus more on part time jobs.

Currently I have 18 hours a week between a kindergarten (2 hours a day M~F) and a private institute (4 hours so far M and F) so that schedule leaves me with lots of free time to study, well a little too much free time as I have all afternoon and evenings of T, W and Th off. That's a lot of time off and I would like to tutor some students as let's be honest, the pay would be good so I would work less and still have time off.

So how did you get your tutoring job? Did you work at a school or were you approached by a parent? Just wondering as I use the net a lot to look for some but no takers yet. Maybe it's a bad time of the year?
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 05:48 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tutoring

Hi,

I'm assuming you're still in Korea??? You probably won't finding private tutoring jobs on the web because they are illegal in Korea.

That being said, most folks I know who do privates get their first 1 or 2 from friends or from people stopping them on the street and asking them to teach their kids. I've always been a bit weary of the latter.

I would ask your friends and see if they have any extra they want to get rid of.

Once you have 1 or 2 the mothers usually tell their friends and you usually get more from the ones you already have. If they don't offer, just ask them if they know of any other tutoring opportunities. Chances are they know about 10 other mothers who want their children to have a private tutor.

Pretty soon you'll have more offers than you can take...

But remember it's illegal and you face a 5,000,000 Won fine and/or being deported.

Eric
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 07:32 pm
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

Why is private tutoring illegal?
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 08:11 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Eric
Hi,

I'm assuming you're still in Korea??? You probably won't finding private tutoring jobs on the web because they are illegal in Korea.

That being said, most folks I know who do privates get their first 1 or 2 from friends or from people stopping them on the street and asking them to teach their kids. I've always been a bit weary of the latter.

I would ask your friends and see if they have any extra they want to get rid of.

Once you have 1 or 2 the mothers usually tell their friends and you usually get more from the ones you already have. If they don't offer, just ask them if they know of any other tutoring opportunities. Chances are they know about 10 other mothers who want their children to have a private tutor.

Pretty soon you'll have more offers than you can take...

But remember it's illegal and you face a 5,000,000 Won fine and/or being deported.

Eric
Yes I'm still in Korea but I am married now so I have the F-2-1 Visa which gives me a lot of rights more than the E-2 Visa holders. Therefore I won't be deported

I have seen a few on the web, mostly worknplay but they are all through an agency and I don't want to go through one of thoses as the pay would be less and I dealing directly with the mother/family is better.

I know that it's illegal but a lot of people (Koreans and native speakers) do it and rarely anything is done about it. It's true that people who are not married to Koreans here can be deported but that isn't the case for F-2-1 Visa holders. Another reason to deal soley with the parents to keep it all hush
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 08:19 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote simplyesl
Why is private tutoring illegal?
It's illegal if you don't pay tax on it. Countries lose a lot in tax through private tutoring if it's not declared to the government especially in Korea where everybody has some form of tutoring usually in the form of college students teaching math or another subject and native English teachers teaching English. I would have no problem paying tax on it but I just don't want to go through an agency as they would take more money
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 08:58 pm
Administrator

i wasn't sure about folks with non-e2 visas so i didn't want to make any claims one way or another on that. my f4 friend does them and i think he thinks they're legal. i really don't know for f visa holders. im sure paying taxes is part of making sure you stay out of trouble.

yeah, tons of people do them. koreans and non-koreans. most people don't pay taxes.

i would not go through an agency, ever. that sounds sketchy at best. there's no need. i have a lot of rock climbing friends all over korea so if you can PM me your city i can see if i know anyone there and ask them if they know of anything. i had one friend who was really having a hard time getting any privates. but as soon as he got one, he got about 10 within a few weeks.

sometimes, there's a korean contact person who kind of acts as a go-between for foreigners and mothers. if you hook up with one of these people, you're in good shape. they usually just take a little introduction fee from the mothers and nothing from the teachers.

like i said, if you tell me your city, or if you're in seoul tell me your dong, and i can ask around to my climbing friends.

later
eric
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 09:00 pm
Administrator

Also, you should check your contract and make sure you are allowed to work elsewhere if you want to make sure you are on the up and up...