eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   topics (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/topics-15459/)

excellency Feb 22nd, 2010 09:41 am

topics

hi everybody,
I have a problem with the topics of disscussion for pre or low
intermediate students.I want to have some disscussion at the
class but I don't find any suitable topic to disscus.You know, the topics that can be disscussed at the class by students in this low level.Is there anybody to sugest me such topics?
I' ll appreciate it.

susan53 Feb 22nd, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: topics

Stay with things which are within their (and your) experience and can be easily expressed using the structures and vocabulary that they know. For example :

(For present simple) : Describe a typical day in your life. / How do you usually spend your holidays? / What do you like doing in your spare time?
(For simple past) : What did you do at the weekend / for your last holiday? / for your holidays when you were a child?
(Mixed past forms) : What's your earliest memory? / Can you remember your first day at school? / What's the most exciting / surprising thing that's ever happened to you? / Tell us about a time you had to do a journey in really bad weather.
(Mixed forms) : Have you ever seen a UFO (when/where)? Do you believe they exist?
Why (not)?

The discussions will always be more productive if the students have a mdel to work with. So - before you ask them to discuss, tell them about something that happened to you on the same thing. Check they've understood what you've said, and then ask them to talk about the same thing.

For example : for the topic Tell us about a time you had to do a journey in really bad weather I tell a story about a three-day horseback journey I once did where, because of sudden bad weather, we got lost in the mountains. I check comprehension by giving them photos of the journey and asking them to put them in order while they listen. after my story, I then ask them to think of a journey they've done in bad weather - and start giving prompts to stimulate ideas : Maybe it was a time when you were driving and it was very foggy or it started to snow ... maybe you were travelling by plane and the plane was delayed by the weather ... or maybe you were on a plane and there was a storm. Once I see (by the looks on their faces) that they've all remembered a story, then I put them into groups and get them to tell each other their stories. Each group can then choose the best story to tell to the class. them

HUE Feb 25th, 2010 02:27 am

Re: topics

I fully agree with Susan, so will simply add a few ideas.

1: Limit the number of questions. Rather than have a list of ten questions or more for students to answer, keep the list short. Allot several minutes for students to work at their own pace with a partner. After this, students switch partners and repeat the questions. By doing this, students will have the chance to reuse elements from the conversation, thereby improving fluency and accuracy.

2: Allow students to prepare for a minute. Students shouldn't write their answers, but can at least consider what they want to say, how they want to say, order the ideas, etc. A little preparation can be especially helpful with more difficult topics.

3: Use questions to also teach students about how to conduct conversations. The questions don't need to solely focus on the grammar, but should also require students to naturally use the language.

Here are some activity ideas (from my ebook on language teaching):

ESL Activities

You may also want to look through the following questions for your classes too:

Speaking | Chris Cotter's Heads Up English | ESL Lessons

Have great classes!