eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Tutoring ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/tutoring-esl-369/)

rissa814 Mar 10th, 2006 09:28 am

Tutoring ESL

Hey y'all! I am a senior at the American Embassy School, New Delhi. A friend of my aunt's has two sons, one in 6th grade and the other in 4th. I have begun tutoring them in ESL as they need to work on their reading and writing skills (especially reading). They can read perfectly, they just don't want to. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to make our hour-long sessions a bit more interesting so that they will want to read more?

thanks

mesmark Mar 10th, 2006 11:01 pm

Re: Tutoring ESL

I replied to another post before reading this one :doh:

I would suggest forget trying to challenge them. Try to get something they're interested in. If it's video games for example, try to find a short article on some new video game. Or make one up from other articles.

What's the plot? What do they have to do? Do they want to play this game? Should we try to convince their parents to buy it? At the end discuss where the game takes place. Ask them to draw some characters or somethig for the game.

Have them make up ideas for their own game and write them down.

If it's good you can then later approach some gamers to make it. :cool: Or at least tell them you will.

You can also try things like mad libs.

Keep the readings short and try to find objective driven texts. Things like scavenger hunt type readings or stories that allow you to choose what to do next.

I hope that helps.

Mark

rissa814 Mar 11th, 2006 03:54 am

Thanks Mark. :) It's just kinda wierd because this is my first time to tutor ESL. I will try not to challenge them too much, but they are smart kids. The problem with the older one is that he can read and understand English just fine, he just doesn't WANT to read.

christal Mar 21st, 2006 12:12 am

thanks! it also benefit me

emile Apr 2nd, 2006 07:40 am

Quote:

The problem with the older one is that he can read and understand English just fine, he just doesn't WANT to read.

This may be a silly question, but if he can already read just fine, then what's the point teaching him how to read?

mesmark Apr 2nd, 2006 04:57 pm

That's a pretty good point.

If you're just trying to improve reading comprehension, you might want to get him into some novels. Find a book that he's interested in and assign it as homework and then discuss the book. Have him underline or highlight words he doesn't know and then he can look a few up as he goes if he doesn't understand the general meaning of the sentence. If he understands in general he can skip it and you can go over them with him in class.

Obviously this is really boring and won't make you popular. BUT if you have some sort of incentive for him completing his assignment it makes it much easier.

You can also read a little out loud with him. You read one paragraph and he reads the next.

Incentives can be games in class instead of "work." I'll go over some of my ideas if you're still interested.

mrcards Apr 6th, 2006 03:55 pm

Quote:

Quote rissa814
Thanks Mark. :) It's just kinda wierd because this is my first time to tutor ESL. I will try not to challenge them too much, but they are smart kids. The problem with the older one is that he can read and understand English just fine, he just doesn't WANT to read.

Hi, I would suggest using comic books. There are many different kinds out there, and you could try bringing a few over. For this problem child, you've got to find out what he's into right now, and focus on that. Good luck!