eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

Poll: Which age group do you prefer to teach?
Poll Options
Which age group do you prefer to teach?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 05:50 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default What age group do you prefer?

I just started teaching university students. But more and more I find myself wanting to back in the class teaching elementary age students. I hope I start to enjoy my new students a bit more soon. Kids are much more fun and energetic and, believe it or not, more polite.

What age students does everyone here like and why?

eric
Unread Apr 26th, 2005, 07:14 pm
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road

Notice the big difference between Middle school and High school. You can thank the University entrance exams for that.
Unread Apr 26th, 2005, 07:18 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

I know, their lives are literally sucked away. I hate watching students go from elementary to middle school and even more so from middle school to high school. its sad to watch.
Unread Apr 26th, 2005, 07:51 pm
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road

Don't bother to teach at a high school. All they care about is that damn exam.Some might be catching some zzzzzzzzzz in your class.
Unread Apr 27th, 2005, 01:26 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road

I think any student with an over-zealous mother can be caught falling asleep in class. My friend used to teach a grade 6 girl in her home at night until 11 or 12. When she left the house, the rest of the family was already in bed, except the 12 year old! She need to get into a good middle school...

As for my preferences, I like teaching the elementary kids because they are so fun to be with. My very best class ever was a group of 10-11 year olds whose level was high enough to be conversational. We could discuss things, and play games and it was all good fun. Once they turn 13 or so, as the enthusiasm begins to lose out to self-consciousness, my interest begins to wane as well. Plus it's not longer funny if I act like a goof.
Unread Jul 12th, 2006, 07:15 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What age group do you prefer?

I prefer to teach adults. I am currently teaching kids and I love them too but I would take an adult class over a kids class if I had a choice. The last job that I was in was excellent and I loved teaching company and uni students. However that meant that I had to prepare more that I would have to for kids but I found that when I went into the elementary school that I am at I had to prepare so much more than I thought I would!

My reasons for going into the elementary school and not the adult school was simple. Most of the jobs for adults have work from 6 in the morning and finish late at night on a split shift whereas teaching kids is a block shift. I hate split shifts so I stuff with the kids

My next job will be teaching company classes and I will try and teach in a school or two, like an after school program if it's possible.
Unread Jul 14th, 2006, 05:49 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

Around the 9-11 age.

They usually have a decent level of English and they still like all the silly games. Good fun!
Unread Jul 17th, 2006, 03:27 am
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road

I voted for elementary kids. Love the enthusiasm that they have. Is it me, or do you find kids in Korea to be way more energetic than at home? Guess it' s due to all that time they spend inside studying and not out running around.
Unread Jul 20th, 2006, 11:52 pm
SimplyESL

I had my first adult class last night. I have to say that I really enjoyed it! There were only three students and the lesson consisted of a lot of free conversation.

Definitely a rival for my fav. age group!
Unread Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:46 am
zashi

zashi is on a distinguished road

"Kids are much more fun and energetic and, believe it or not, more polite."-Eric

I totally agree with these...

I prefer to teach preschool, it's really fun to be with the kids...
After teaching them, although it's tiring they can still make you smile/laugh and make you feel tireless with just a hug from them..sweet little kids!so lovely!!!

But now I teach adult most days...Well, i enjoy teaching them also(so far)... It's a different approach and as for me it's challenging... And you can learn also a lot from them it's a two way process... they learn fro you and you also learn from them...It's fun!!!!

Regards,
zashi
Unread Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:53 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Despite all the 'baggage' that comes with teaching adults ie refusal to accept that a language can be different to theirs, trying to reason too much, using age as an excuse for not learning, lack of time and energy to do homework properly, being set in their ways etc etc I actually prefer it to teaching kids. They have more life experience and you can incorporate more 'issues' into the lessons ie relationships, current affairs etc. Clearly you have to know your group before you start spouting off about tensions in the middle east, for example, but you can usually generate good discussions.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Aug 29th, 2006, 07:55 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Mr. E English is on a distinguished road

Like most of you my vote went to the kids (elementary level) - their energy, openness and just plain cuteness make them a pleasure to teach. But there's something positive to be gained from teaching all the different age groups.

Each age group brings a different challenge and a different teaching experience. The skills and understanding of teaching I have learned from one group have enabled me to become a better teacher of another group. To be a fully professional, well-rounded teacher we have to learn and the best way to do that is to embrace a diverse range of teaching situations.
Unread Sep 24th, 2006, 07:21 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

I prefer teaching kids because I like games and play and adults can be soooooooooooooooo inhibited. Sure they will loosen up as they get to know you and each other but they probably still won t be keen on singing while hopping around the room doing daft actions.

Having said that I think what I find rewarding is bringing sunshine into their lives through fun lessons where they progress and feel proud of themselves.

The downside to teaching kids for me is that after one hour with children you can sometimes feel like you have been working all day because you need to inject so much energy into controlling the class while keeping it dynamic and fast-paced - whereas the adults are self-motivated and you don t have to use tricks like switching the lights off or starting a song to get their attention!
Unread Sep 25th, 2006, 11:14 pm
SimplyESL

I really liked the little experience that i've had teaching adults. I am young, younger than most adult students, so i have to try and spin this into being a positive thing. I've never had a class that were afraid to talk. I teach adults in much the same way that i teach kids, but i don't let them know that.
Unread Sep 26th, 2006, 12:21 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Mr. E English is on a distinguished road

I agree with you completely Simplyesl - the way to teach adults is to do exactly the same as you would with kids, but just don't let on!
Unread Oct 27th, 2006, 04:18 pm
eslHQ Addict

musica is on a distinguished road

I Love teaching young children, they are the age group I went into teaching to work with and remain my favourite age group.
Unread Oct 28th, 2006, 08:48 am
eslHQ Member

youtin is on a distinguished road

Elementary school kids between 9-11 maybe. We can do a lot of fun stuff, and it's easy to get along with them, once you know how to catch their attention
Unread Nov 14th, 2006, 06:44 am
eslHQ Member

Ingonyama is on a distinguished road

I defo prefer adults - been teaching kids and teens most of my life but this year am teaching adults and it's such a glory, to be able to really teach, not just try to break fights, pass the time with unwilling, spoiled brats who think the teacher's just a doormat to tread upon or someone who you can answer back and/or hit without consequences... Given the sorry state education in Spain has fallen down to, as extending compulsory to sixteen without really catering for those who'd rather be learning a trade or having sufficient resources to deal with the extreme diversity (kids who arrive from Africa and have never been to a school, don't know how to read or write, kids with tremendous learning disorders and/or problematic, violent behaviour, along with normal kids, all together and SOS teacher, here you are, deal with it as best u can!) is but a dream here, especially in state schools. For me an hour with such teens is more exausting than sixty with adults!

Last edited by Ingonyama : Nov 14th, 2006 at 06:46 am. Reason: spelling typos
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 11:11 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

After teaching now for three years, which I know isn't a lot compared to some of you guys but I am beginning to realise that you need a good mix of children and adults or else you will start to me more and more stuck in a rut.

I have met a few teachers now in Korea who have been teaching kids for 8 or 10 years and they tell me that can never teach adults because no school would hire them since they were only teaching kids all the time. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you want to teach kids all the time but what happens if you realise that you want to teach another age group? I think if at all possible try and teach as many different age groups as you can. I am currently teaching kids, elementary and middle school and company classes. It's great to have a mix so that you can get experience in as many different areas as possible.

It's easy for me to teach kids nowadays but do I still want to be doing that when I am 40 or 50? No thanks
Unread Feb 18th, 2007, 11:42 pm
eslHQ Member

Fletch is on a distinguished road

Definitely the 7 and 8 year olds!

They are full of energy and are excited about every class. Never a dull moment especially when the games come out.