eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   What is the best way to get certified as an ESL teacher? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/what-best-way-get-certified-esl-teacher-12413/)

CouponAlbum May 6th, 2009 06:15 am

What is the best way to get certified as an ESL teacher?

Hello everybody..
I have a bachelor's degree and want to get certified to teach English as a second language overseas. My Bachelor's degree is not in teaching. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

mesmark May 7th, 2009 03:13 am

Re: What is the best way to get certified as an ESL teacher?

There are CELTA and TESOL programs that you can take and get certified in less than a month. That will qualify you for most EFL positions but you may not even need those.

What I'd suggest is looking into the area where you'd like to teach and see what they require for jobs there. Then search out a program near you that you feel comfortable with in regards to time and price.

Good luck!

STCrowley May 9th, 2009 03:24 am

I agree with Mesmark. In Germany, at least, you don't need any certification to work for a 'language company.' (Private language school.) Sure, the certification will help, but the training costs money and the language company I work for provided it's own two week training. My experience is that you really do learn by doing (if you can stick it out.)

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get certified, I'm saying you might want to consider the cost and if you really need it.

teachingenglishmadeeasy May 9th, 2009 09:42 pm

Hi OP,

What kind of certification are you looking for? There are a lot of different options. You could go the easy route, or, you could have something really challenging. Some just want the piece of paper while others want the paper and the knowledge. What's your cup of tea?

wired May 11th, 2009 10:01 am

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you mind posting the ones in which you actually learn (and get the paper)?

I'm curious, as teaching English overseas is something that I'm interested in doing sometime next year. :)

Thanks in advance!
Pedro

teachingenglishmadeeasy May 11th, 2009 08:04 pm

Hi Pedro,

You're not hijacking the thread at all. Don't worry. What I mean is that there are diploma mills out there where you just write one essay and they give you the diploma. That is NOT someone I would want working with me or any other English language learner unless they had proven extensive experience in the field and they were successful at it.

School of Education & Human Development

Something like this would be great. I got my Master's degree from this university. It's a real university and it's accredited by the same body that accredits Perdue, UV, etc.

Ralph

wired May 12th, 2009 08:17 am

Oh ok, gotcha. I was thinking about going with ICAL Online. Seems like good reviews, and the price is pretty good, too. I had been thinking about going with Oxford, but they've received bad reviews? I guess I'd prefer something I can personally attend, but bad reviews (and understandably higher price) prodded me towards online courses.

Thanks for your prompt response. :)