eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 20th, 2007, 12:24 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default I Need Some Ideas Please - Lesson Plan

I have an English course next week which is about wine tasting. I would like some ideas about the kind of English lesson that should cover wine tasting.

I was thinking about:
  1. Introduction
  2. Quiz
  3. The Art of Wine Tasting
  4. Up to the Adults to Get Pi**ed
  5. Finish

The lesson is between 1 to 2 hours long and there are 30 students that have booked. I shall be offering four different types of wine to students but need some ideas for the different stages of lesson.

Any ideas anyone has about this would be really helpful.
Unread Jul 20th, 2007, 05:10 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I Need Some Ideas Please - Lesson Plan

Wow - 30 already. So that's how you get students to study English - offer them alcohol ...

For the quiz - if you type in "wine quiz" to Google, lots come up, but they tend to include a lot of technical vocab. This one, however, is more basic and might give you some ideas : http://www.wineeducation.com/quiz/quizb/quizb.html

Other ideas :
- If you have a computer in the room, what about using a Youtube video? Type wine tastinginto the search box and lots come up

-If you want to get students talking more (before or after they start drinking, whichever you think would result in most fluency ) how about dividing them into groups and giving each group info on the wines of one country (several short texts so they each have something to read) plus a questionnaire which between them they have to compile. Each group then presents its results to the others.

-Are they liable to be wine drinkers already? If so I'd start the evening by getting them to tell each other about what wines the have drunk /usually drink/are their favourites etc. And /or an anecdote telling activity : What was the best (or worst) wine they've ever drunk? Where were they? Who with? What was the occasion?

Sounds fun anyway. Started me thinking how I could adapt it to my own students - a tasing focusing on wines from English speaking countries which likely to be less familiar with, perhaps. It's a thought for the autumn.