eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Where to buy sets of ESL picture cards (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/where-buy-sets-esl-picture-cards-8118/)

dayjafarie Apr 14th, 2008 12:45 am

Where to buy sets of ESL picture cards

Im looking 2 buy sets of medium sized picture cards with words on one side and pictures on the other. Mostly they will be used for childrens classes and we are after a wide range of themes.

Any suggestions on brands?

Thanks so much!

EngliPatrick Apr 14th, 2008 06:46 am

Re: Where to buy sets of ESL picture cards

There is one great place online I can think of that offers free picture cards, but you need to print them out and laminate them. Google 'mes-english'

dayjafarie Apr 14th, 2008 09:13 am

Thanks for that! I have used many of mes's cards and worksheets, but am after something that i dont need to laminate myself.

mesmark Apr 14th, 2008 07:10 pm

Genki English has flashcard sets you can buy.

Who are they for? What age students?

Most kids text series have flashcard sets that match. You can get those from on-line book stores or contact a represenative to find a place that sells them.

Other than that I've only seen smaller 4x6 note card sized flashcards commercially. Most book stores that carry ESL textbooks will also have an ESL materials section.

Where are you? There must be some local importer that serves the international community there. I'm sure they have teaching materials in their catalogues. In Japan, the one I use is called the Foreign Buyers Club

Last but not least, Amazon. Amazon.com will ship over seas and I'm sure you can find something on there. The shipping cost isn't too bad for DVDs but flashcards might be a little heavy. See what they quote you. They're pretty fair.

mesmark Apr 14th, 2008 09:03 pm

Here's a link to flash cards on Amazon

There are more.

Bagga Apr 15th, 2008 05:29 am

In the UK, Early Learning Centre shops do a nice range of flashcards, and there are branches in most big cities.

I use "kid's" flashcards with adults too, which makes them even more useful. After all, no matter how mature and pompous you may feel, if you don't know the word DUCK, for example, you are still "young" in English, so you shouldn't be offended when I show you a sweet flashcard of a duck.

Or on one memorable occasion, when I brandished a plastic rubber duckie from my bathroom, at a group of adult beginners. I bet they will never forget the word DUCK after that, though!

EngliPatrick Apr 15th, 2008 08:02 pm

Bagga,

I bet if you if you went as far as singing the Rubber Ducky song, it would have been cemented into their heads. ;)

nothingstable Jan 10th, 2014 01:15 pm

Flashcards and Flash Cards Activities for Children, Kids and Teachers - Yo-Yee offers high quality language learning flashcards in several languages, such as English, German, Spanish, French and Chinese to teach various topics. There flash cards help your children to learn grammar, reading skills, writing and language vocabulary from topics such as countries, occupations, body parts, locations daily routines and much, much more....:)

abarboza Jan 17th, 2014 10:12 pm

You can find plenty at teacherspayteachers.com I have purchased several picture cards and lessons and worksheets there.

MayaWins Jan 28th, 2014 03:21 am

I always create my own flashcards, depending on the student profile. Since I teach an integrated class of mixed abilities, it makes more sense. I usually download images off websites that boast of free printables and worksheets. Sometimes I find them on pinterest which is another great source for resources and then I customize them on Word or PowerPoint. I get my cool math based English flashcards off the printables on the Math Blaster Website. Etsy has some handcrafted ones but they're really expensive. Where do you stay? Maybe that'll help us list resources close to your place.