eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 11th, 2009, 08:45 am
eslHQ Member

prese is on a distinguished road
Default Converstaion class with sts who need English to present PhD

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of Intermediate students(mixed ability class) who want conversation classes to help them improve listening and speaking skills. Their aim is to be prepared for their PhD presentation...they still have time. Varied areas: computer science, engineering, data base. I've tried a business book because of the language used but need extra stuff. Any sites?ideas?
Unread Dec 30th, 2009, 04:11 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Converstaion class with sts who need English to present PhD

Hi Prese,

To start, whatever materials you do use, I would also incorporate presentation and fluency skills. If the students must present their PhDs at some point in the future, the ability to speak smoothly, coherently, and with well-ordered thoughts will be very important. I don't know where you are teaching, but remember that some cultures structure essays/information differently.

I would also try to use real material that gives them the chance to use information/ideas that may come up in the PhD presentation. Short articles from news sites work very well, as this will allow a jumping off point on the topic. Don't select a long article that becomes a lesson on translation without any opportunity for discussion.

Take a look at my news site for ESL / EFL students as a starting point:

English Lesson Plans | Heads Up English | ESL Lessons

Good luck!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Dec 30th, 2009, 11:53 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have taught some Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation classes for adults. The classes were multi-level and the students were not in a college or university. Some activities I used were the following: pair work, small group discussion (4 to 5 people in a group; one person from each group later reports to the class as a whole). Some ESL teachers teach students to make and present PowerPoint presentations (that may be an excellent idea for your class).
Also, even among students who have spoken English for years you may find people who don't know all the sounds of the letters (vowels, consonants, digraphs, etc.) You will do them a big favor by checking for any deficiencies in phonics, and teaching them what they need to know. Depending on the native languages of your students, you may find that some English letter sounds are new to them (because the sounds are not in the native languages). Identifying the problems and giving them lessons to fix the problems will be a great help to your students!
Unread Jan 2nd, 2010, 03:23 pm
eslHQ Member

prese is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies...greatly appreciated.

Prese