View Single Post
Unread Jul 8th, 2007, 10:20 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do advanced learners need us?

For some students who don't live in an English-speaking country, or don't get to use English regularly, your lessons provide them the chance to do so. A lot of students who have lived abroad notice a decline in their English when they return home, so lesson provide one way to keep their skills up.

With high level students of my own, I often run my lesson like a university class back in the States. This means a lot of discussion on the topic, case studies, learning and applying new vocabulary and ideas, and so on. Sure a student could learn on his own, even teach on his own... but how is that different than an undergrad or a grad student at university? The professors act as guides, especially at the higher-levels. Choose a topic to discuss over several sessions. Assign homework in which the student needs to research the topic for discussion. Give articles to read, and discuss them. Most importantly, have the student apply the material and ideas from his readings, otherwise it just becomes a bit of free conversation around a topic.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.