Thread: Blogs
View Single Post
Unread Jul 18th, 2007, 10:13 pm
eslHQ Member

kimyushin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blogs and the use of YOUTUBE in writing activities

This is an indirect suggestion about the use of blogs. Instead of writing blogs, my student and I watch a video in youtube; after watching I ask him what he feels about the content and concepts of the video.

I listen to his comment, then I repeat to him what he said. If my feedback coincides with what he said, I have him type the same comment in the comment box of the video. I edit his work after he is done writing

Notes:
1.This writing activity is short; it targets specific grammar points and writing points. Blog-writing provides lengthy writing practice- comment-writing won't.

Thus, use this activity as a supplement writing activity.

2.Ask concrete questions about the video's content. Asking students (which in my case Korean learners) "what do you think about the video?" results in vague and short responses.

With the exemption of advance learners, intermediate and beginner learners often have not yet harmonized their cognitive skills and their linguistic skills; they cannot yet express on-the-spot opinions. Using specific lead questions on them will yield specific , and sometimes lengthy, answers.

3. It is best to use movie trailers and music videos since both are rich in content and have plots that students can follow.