View Single Post
Unread Aug 29th, 2007, 09:57 am
eslHQ Member

purecity is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching English in Canada

Because much of Canada is English-speaking, I don't hear of the same need for ESL teachers for schoolaged children in most areas. If you wish to work exclusively as an ESL teacher, there might be opportunities in private colleges/associations that teach adult ESL learners. In Alberta, you can teach privately without official teaching credentials. Schoolaged children in the public education system are often integrated with their Canadian peers and accommodated within their classroom. Some might get some pullout asssistance for part of the day but that is increasingly rare.

If you have official teaching credentials from elsewhere, you may be able to apply for provincial certification and be eligible to be hired by a local school board. Be forewarned that your credentials might not be enough and that you might need to do some training to meet the provincial requirements.

If you can teach another language other than English, you should have a good chance of work in Alberta as there is a demand for second language teachers in many of the school boards, especially in the smaller towns.

If you'd like more info about Alberta certification, send me a private message and I can point you to more specific information online.