View Single Post
Unread Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:38 pm
ESL Teacher

siritwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching methods 'Do you like...?'

I found that I introduce some new vocabulary words, using real objects (for example, with fruit i bring a load of real fruits to the lesson). I start by practicing the vocab a few times, by passing the object a round the class.
To use the "Do you like...?" question, I would normally start by showing an object to the class and acting out while saying if I did not like or liked the object. (For example, with an apple, I would pull a horrible face and push the apple away while saying "I don't like it". For something i liked I would make a happy face while saying "I like it.")
Gradually I would have students volunteer to repeat me, until gradually I could have the students randomly answer the question "Do you like...?"

Of course when I first started teaching the students this, not all of them got the idea or the speaking correct, so it took many more lessons to practice it. But eventually they got the idea and they liked competing to pull the best faces, and they liked getting to see and touch real objects as it made a change from learning from pictures and textbooks.