View Single Post
Unread Sep 9th, 2007, 01:09 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electronic dictionaries in class! Good or bad?

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I am talking about Hue. You get the point.
How much learning is it in punching this little machine all the time for translations of words? Ask these guys in middle school to write a simple paragraph. They write it out in Korean and then translate it using the little machines. You don't want to know what the translated version looks like; just nonsense. That's why I think these dictionaries should be allowed but not in class or more precisely let's say during tests, and serious class exercises that require personal effort from students.

Ever since I started worrying over this issue, I took time last semester to study these dictionaries closely and Oh my God! some of them offer weird meanings, translations, constructions and even pronunciations. Is there any serious follow up by language experts with the companies that make them and the source from which they get the stuff that they program into the machines?
Nevertheless, I have seen some great machines too. Versions like the ones you find on mobile phones here in china ought to be questioned really.