View Single Post
Unread Sep 15th, 2007, 02:10 am
eslHQ Member

daviddean is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British versus American

Hi, I teach English in Turkey in a small village for students from kindergarden to age 13. The main style used here is A.E. As a Brtish national I found just a few hiccups along the way. My only real problem was with "Bring"
For example the sentence: "The milk truck is leaving to bring everybody the milk that we make", for me this is incorrect, it should be "take" everbody the milk that we make. apart from that the few spellings that are different are really negligable and the teachers here do not mark them wrong, however as A.E is used in the course books it is this that is taught wth B.E shown alongside any differences. So far the students haven't had any problems. Pronunciation and Intonation can be a slight problem but the aim is to get the children speaking English so if it's Americanised or British let them speak loud.

For me, I feel the reason A.E is being taught more and more is Non Native English teahers and students may find it easier, especially with spelling. I.E COLOR instead of COLOUR.

You expect students to follow the school rules, lead by example. You have to teach the children according to the schools rules or you may not teach them at all which would worse?