View Single Post
Unread Oct 7th, 2007, 07:16 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Retirement age for a teacher.

They are not easy questions to answer I know, but God knows every single teacher I know has these questions and more in mind.
A friend of mine asked me the other day to tell her what other jobs are closely related to teaching. That is, a good teacher would likely be very good at them. The question put me at a loss for sometime and then I began to realize how serious it was. The truth is I can think of a number of jobs that could make one a great teacher (most people who have been actors, actresses, journalists, singers, baby sitters, etc make good teachers). But what are those jobs that a good teacher can easily do well at? Certainly you will all say, Education consultant, management, writing, but I bet you these are in reality very difficult to separate completely from teaching.
I think if teachers knew good answers to these questions many of them would teach happily and retire happily.

My dad quit at 60 and it has not been so good on his health. His after-teaching activity is cattle rearing and, oh my God! it's just the wrong one.
Jeez it's scaring me to death when I will have to quit and what to do next.

Thanks Eric and Sue (Sue, quitting at 25!!! that was a nice joke).
More ideas from older teachers would be highly appreciated.
Regards.

Last edited by Denis DNT : Oct 7th, 2007 at 07:21 pm. Reason: Left out a line