Thread: Help me!!!
View Single Post
Unread Nov 28th, 2007, 06:39 pm
eslHQ Member

die__lehrerin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me!!!

That really sounds like a challenge! I agree with mesmark in the point,that you have to earn their trust and love! But of course they also have to feel that you feel and care for them, that you are not just "another teacher of english"..

Once I started teaching in an absolutely unwilling to learn anything class! That was disaster! Of course, the root of this disaster lies in discipline!

I would recommend to point out several (not many! - otherwise they'll not handle all of them in their own heads) rules for your classes, and if that's possible-hang them on the wall, so that if the student breaks the rule, you reference to the "real" rule,which the student had broken! These rules must help you earn the feeling of confidence they should feel towards you...

And children love laughing! Make them laugh, be a bit (controllably) funny, be a kid(somewhere deep inside), and you'll see that fire in their eyes, which is worth all the efforts and sleepless nights...

Now, concerning activities and games for the lesson...When I had my teaching practice at public school,they also didn't provide us with any kinds of flashcards, or worksheets... And at that time,I didn't really make friends with Internet, so actually,I made my own flashcards...

Some sleepless nights of drawing and painting, some clumsy depictions of active vocabulary (like,"an apple", or "I am eating a sandwich") and wonderful result! First of all -Those smiles, which children have on their faces when they first see your funny pictures, and then -again- they sense that you CARE and make something specially for them... That works really well...

And, also maybe we could organize a special topic,where we would be sharing some ideas for teaching with the cheapest preparation...

Maybe, I re-invented the bycicle, but thats something that helped me a lot, and I hope it will help you too!!

Good Luck!